11 | Chapter Eleven

B O N N I E

Olivia stands there staring at Josh, looking perplexed and annoyed by the way he had acted towards me. I chuckle to myself; I appreciate her concern for me, even if she thinks Josh is the hottest guy she has ever laid eyes on. In this town, at least.

Don't tell her boyfriend that. I'm sure he would love to know about her Josh fantasy.

"I can see why you think he's a jerk now," she huffs, crossing her arms and frowning in his direction. Axel hands Olivia and me a drink as he plants a kiss on her cheek. "Don't be grumpy, baby. Josh is just messing around."

"Excuse me? You know him?" Olivia questions, but of course, she knows him. Josh is at Axel's party, and they go to the same college now, so I guess it's a given they've met before tonight.

"Yeah, we go to school together." Axel shrugs, smiling down at Olivia, still trying to lift her mood a little, which wasn't working if her death stare is any sign.

I look back over my shoulder to where Josh is standing, a path seeming to open through the crowd of grinding bodies to give me front-row seats to the Josh show. I can't help but stare, slowly glancing up and down over the girl as she grinds against him, moving her body in time with the music, flipping her hair back and forth like she was on a pole center stage. To my surprise, he doesn't seem to be affected by her attempt at seduction; he doesn't flinch, not even a smile spreading across his face, nothing.

His stare locked onto me; his gaze was so intense I feel myself shiver a little. I don't understand what his deal is. One minute he's playing nice, trying to be my friend again, then the next he is taunting me with that stare and that dirty mouth of his, yet I keep going back for more.

"I need some air." I blurt out, throwing my arms out in frustration before stepping away. I don't both looking back at Olivia and Axel, who I assume are now wrapped up in each other from the small moans I hear leaving Olivia's mouth.

I push my way through the crowd and straight past Josh. I don't look at him or act as if he even exists; I don't give him that satisfaction, but I can feel the weight of his stare. Not only his stare, but I can feel his presence lingering behind me, following me outside.

Stopping at the curb of the street, I take in a deep breath, "what do you want from me?" I demand, knowing he is right behind me now. I can feel the heat from his body as he draws closer.

"I want you to give me a chance to apologize and make it up to you," he mutters so quietly it was almost a whisper. He sounds genuinely concerned, but not for one second do I trust him or his intentions.

I spin around without thinking about the distance between us or lack thereof, and I smack right into his chest. I squeak in shock. Yep, I fucking squeak and clamp my eyes shut. How do I always embarrass myself around him? I think he's cursed me, or maybe it's just the way he looks that gets me all flustered? I curl my hands into tight fists and press them against his chest, not wanting to be this close to him, needing to create any space that I can between us.

"I know what I did hurt you, but you have to understand it wasn't my choice. I was only a kid; I had to leave." His admission makes sense, but that doesn't stop the pain of those memories from surfacing again. Just the reminder of what he did, how I felt. It's all too much.

"Why didn't you ever try to contact me?" I scream at him, "It makes no sense, Josh. I thought you were my friend, my best friend, and you just left without even a letter to tell me why or even where you were going." Tears pool in my eyes; I don't look up; I can't handle seeing his face, not now.

"I can't explain it, BonBon; I had no way to contact you. Just trust me on that, please."

"All I wanted was to call you to see you, but I couldn't." I hear the sadness in his voice, causing me to peer up at him. The expression on his beautiful face pains me; I can feel the truth pouring out of him at this moment, but that doesn't mean I trust him.

Without thinking, I lean my head against his chest, breathing in his sweet scent. His warm arms wrap around me, pulling me in tighter, holding me to him, blocking the chilly night air from hitting my back.

We stay like this for what feels like hours, enjoying each other's warmth and comfort. Feeling as though our bodies don't want to let go, begging to catch up on all the time we lost over those years.

"I missed you, bonbon," he sighs, leaning his chin lightly on top of my head, stroking his hands tenderly up and down my back.

"The first thing I did when I graduated High School was book a plane ticket to come back here, to come back to you," he affirms. I say nothing, staying in his embrace.

"I'm still so mad at you; that will not change overnight," I confess.

"No matter how much you tell me you're sorry, that doesn't take away the hurt you leaving caused."

I pull back from him slightly, needing to see his face now, "I need time, and you need to respect that." I state, without leaving room for argument. I know he wants to argue, but he chooses not to. A slight nod from him is what I get, and then that beautiful crooked smirk appears again, and I melt.

"Anything for you, BonBon, anything."

Before I can respond, I feel the back of my hair being tugged at such force I am yanked from Josh's grasp, my eyes shoot up to see his, and I don't miss the anger, not at me but at whoever had touched me.