13 | Chapter Thirteen

B O N N I E

"Oh, I don't technically live there, I just stay there occasionally to keep Dad company, you know after-" he stops, cutting himself off and I know exactly why. He is thinking about his mom. The sad, distant look on his face tells me everything I need to know. I hear him gulp and my heart clenches, knowing he is hurting and there is nothing I can say or do to help him.

"Where do you live then?" Olivia perks up, leaning forward in between our seats. I can always count on her to voice questions I'm too afraid to ask. That's one of the many, many things I love about Olivia, but it can also be a dangerous habit, for example, right now.

I feel her hand lightly squeeze my shoulder; I want to smack her hand away so badly and tell her to stop trying to set me up; I love her, but this isn't what I need or want right now. Shit, this isn't what he needs right now, either.

"I have a room on campus," he replies, not offering any further explanation, so I know not to push the subject and Olivia catches on, leaning back in her seat again. Silence fills the air, no one knowing what else there is to be said to cut through the tension.

"You could drop me home if that's okay with you?" I ask, not knowing why I want that extra time with him.

I feel my phone vibrate in my palm again, knowing all too well that it's going to be from Olivia. I don't bother checking it until it vibrates again. Flipping my phone over the screen, I tap on it and it lights up, holding it a little closer to my face. I try to mask the messages that? I can guarantee she has sent that could be very embarrassing if Josh were to see them.

 "That's my girl!"

"I'll pick you up tomorrow morning, and by me, I mean Scott and I, in Scott's car."

Locking my phone again, not bothering to reply, I sink back into the comfort of the car seat, leaning my head back welcoming the soft headrest, closing my eyes begging to fall asleep to escape this uncomfortable situation.

 Pleading with my mind to stop thinking about Josh and the things I craved to do with him, I open my eyes and stare up at the roof of the car.

I remind myself repeatedly that Josh isn't an option for me, ever. He was my best friend, and now, I don't know what he is to me anymore.

Damn these hormones.

"Hey there sleepyhead," Josh says, chuckling softly to himself.

"Did you know you snore?" That caught my attention; I snap my head in his direction, putting on my best 'I'm angry at you' face, but it wasn't as effective as I thought when he burst out into a fit of laughter.

It was then I suddenly realized the car felt quiet, almost empty. Turning to look in the backseat, Olivia is nowhere to be found.

"Where is Olivia?" I question, a little startled. I swear she was there a few minutes ago.

"I dropped her off five minutes ago," he answers.

Dropped her off? Did I fall asleep?

"Shit, I must've fallen asleep," I mumble under my breath, dragging a hand over my face. Maybe if I drag it fast enough, it'll fix my current appearance, which I know isn't pretty.

"Well, yeah, how else would I know you snore in your sleep?" There's that teasing laugh again, but this time I join in, I can't help it. His smile and laugh are infectious.

At the same time we both glance at each other, our laughter fades into soft smiles. I can't pull my gaze away from him, staring into those eyes I remember so well.