CHAPTER 19-THE WAR PART ONE

Yakari's POV;

The good thing about knowing about a war beforehand is that you have time to say your goodbyes.

The breathing of other soldiers could be heard as it went up and down in unison. I scouted the faces of my fellow comrades and I didn't see a slight sign of fear, but it read that of one who was willing to kill and die for the cause he thought was just. The cause of his nation.

I strengthen the grasp on my shield and adjusted the neck warmer I wore along with the official white armoured regiment war gear which consisted of an overall white sleeveless cloth that ran from our necks to our knees, a well knitted silver inner wear the was made from metal and long boots. Our helmets had openings that looked like a sharp y.
My draco sword stood out in the crowd as I lifted it into the air. I took a quick look around before closing my eyes and took a deep breath in.

The empty space that was before us minutes ago was soon filled with orthorox soldiers all in their war gears. They were chanting their war songs as they neared us.
I turned around to see one of us taking out what would look like a chaplet and prayed repeatedly with tears falling from his eyes, turning again I saw a woman giving a younger boy beside her a kiss in the head as if telling him goodbye. It soon became clear to me, this war would bring so much casualty to the nation.

"Soldiers." We all turned out attention to the man on a horse in front of us. It was general riechford and beside rode commander zues and the commander of the black beetles regiment, lord mathieus. He was quite huge about 7ft tall and his muscles were quite massive, he almost looked inhuman. And taking a look at all black beetles soldiers i could concur why he was like that as they all looked similarly muscular and huge.
"This battle Is to decide who is supreme between the two kingdoms but it isn't the reason we are fighting." He paused once more to see our reactions before he began to speak, "We are fighting to protect our love ones back home, we are fighting to see that they do not go through the same fate as we did, we are fighting because we want to. Now soldiers, men of the human faction raise you weapons and show these abominations what we are capable of." The roaring from the men of about 120 thousand in number could be heard from the heavens, their spirits were lifted,their hope restored and all of a sudden it seemed like we could conquer anything even the heavens.

There was silence in the battlefield for about a minute then the commander of the orthorox raised his hands, all the soldiers behind him readied their weapons waiting for the hand to go down. My heart was racing at this point, my hands were sweaty making my sword slip from my hands. I looked up and I saw a large number of vultures hovering over our heads waiting for the carnage to be over until they come for the mega feast. As I watched on I saw as one of the birds collided to another causing feathers to fall from their bodies and as the feathers touched the ground the commander dropped his hands.

The orthorox army began to advance with their weapons raised to the air shouting on the top of their voices.

"Soldiers, this is it, brace yourselves." As he spoke the sun reflected from the dark skin of the black beetles commander,"Fight with honour, for with honour comes glory and with glory comes unending praise even our deaths. So raise your swords and fight with your heart." With that he charged towards the enemy along with him thousands of our soldiers.
I felt something coming with force from behind. Shit. Tilting my neck degrees away from its previous position I was able to evade an arrow that was fired at me. The orthorox advanced swinging his axe from left to right but I ducked them all, I then held his hands as he tried to swing once more and banged my head into his removing it from his body.
Wow. I didn't believe I was that strong.
Three more advanced towards me but i didn't give them the chance to go on the offensive. Swinging my sword to one of the soldiers he blocked it with his shield and swung back but I caught his blades with my hands and broke it into two leaving him and the other two stunned.