CHAPTER 20-THE WAR PART II

Cleaning the sweat off his forehead and searching round to see if there were any surviving orthorox soldiers, general riechford thrust his sword into the blood soaked ground.

"It seems this warfront was a success, though we suffer large casualties but we still emerged victorious." He directed his gaze to the black beetles commander who was mounting on his horse.

His black skin has been stained with orthorox blood , his armour was cut at the back revealing the injury that ran down his back.

"My Lord, I'm heading towards the north to see how the soldiers there are faring. Be safe." He galloped away without another word.
Looking around to count the soldiers left on this side of the battlefield and then looked over the mountain that separated them from the other company of soldiers. He orthorox soldiers had given his men a surprise attack but luckily they were able to change the outcome of the fight.

"General something is coming." A soldier shouted as he pointed to a carriage that approached them. Riechford made some steps back and did some hand signs signalling his men to move back as well.
"Step into formation, and step away from the carriage now." Swirling his hand in the air captain lozur shouted at the top of his voice.
The battalion of about three thousand soldiers had gotten their swords, spears, arrows and shield ready for another attack.
There was a creaking noise from the carriage before it doors swung wide open.

"Hmm, it seems there is nothing inside it after all." With that the tension around the soldiers calmed and they went back to retrieving their dead and injured.
A fog soon began to fill the air, it was thick and made it had for the soldiers to breathe. In minutes some soldiers had collapsed, some struggling to breathe while some were dead altogether.

"Shit, get your scratty asses out of the foggy areas now if you wanna live..." He was cut short as he watched an arrow pierce through the head of the comrade he was ordering.

"What the fuck, we are under attack be on your guards." He said as he blocked the attack of an orthorox soldier with his shield and struck his sword into his guts, Another attacked but he rendered him headless. Two hefty orthorox warriors began to charge for him, one threw a two sided spear that he ducked only for it to land beside him and he took the spear and stabbed one side into the chest of the first one then broke it off from the bleeding chest and stabbed the other end into the eye of the second after he had dazed him with a kick to the guts.
Panting hard with blood trickling from his face and falling to his chest, riechford scouted the battlefield with his eyes and saw what little remained of the opposition. He picked up a bow and got some arrows from a damaged cart-man not far from him, from a high rock he shot down all the orthorox left from the battlefield.
"Thanks general, now what?." He became silent as the general raised a hand to his face and pointed to the carriage. Not to long a weird looking orthorox adult had entered the scene of bloodshed.
"Listen you worthless humans of the kingdom of novien, your end has come. Witness the incarnate of destruction!!!." He clapped his hands and began to recite some chants and the carriage began to glow.

"Kill him before he completes what he wants to do now." Captain lozur screamed at one of his comrades who in response shot an arrow right into his chest but the damage had been done.

A puppy like creature emerged from the carriage and began to approach the company, with the fog disappearing the creature became more visible.

"What in the world is this?." A soldier said as his head tilted upwards responding to the continuous and instantaneous growth of the creature. What soon seemed like a puppy was now twice the size of the mountain that separated them.

It gave a loud roar and then turned to face riechford and his army.

"Ooh gods of our land if your are listening to us come to our aide we pray. Forgive us our sins and let our souls rest in your blossom." Was the prayer of the soldier next to riechford and soon tears began to drop from his eyes as he held riechford by the collar of his armour and cried more, "How can I die now, tell us general how can we die like this. Sob. Sob. I just got married a month ago, my wife would kill herself if she hears I'm dead. Our baby, my baby is in her womb. I can't let another man father our child. Tell us what will happen of us." He cried so loud all the soldiers around soon joined his tears. Even lozur joined in and soon riechford.
"I'm sorry, I'm sorry.", he said in low sobs, he could feel pain for once in a long time, his factory of tears had started to run again as he gave the monster a look into it's large eyes.
"Something is happening to it now." One of the soldiers shouted as the others turned to notice the rapid growth in its neck. And it released.

" SKRRRRAGGGG!!!!"

Flesh was ripped out of bone and part of the field was destroyed from the waves that came from the monster's mouth. All the soldiers on that part of the field had been ripped apart by the volume of the sonic waves.

Riechford tears had dried,pity was no longer in his eyes, his skin had become paler with his hands trembling so much to make him drop his sword on the ground. His eyes were filled with fear, terror and hopelessness ,he turned to look at the soldier that was crying to him earlier but saw nothing but a corpse beside him, the soldier had committed suicide. It's neck started growing again.

"General, let's get you out of here, we will stall this monstrosity until you are in a safe..." Lozur got slapped so hard it left him a tooth less than when he started talking.

It released it's waves again.

"SKRRRRAGGGG!!!!"

"Argh!!!." He cried as the pain shot up to his spine. The waves had affected him slamming him into a rock around.

The monster moved. It took few steps and faced his six eyes to riechford and snorted. The gas that came out of his nose was hot enough to burn a human alive.

"It seems it had to take a beast like you to kill me huh, but bad news you scrat, nothing can kill me for I am general riechford of the white armour regiment and I didn't come all this way to die" , he had wiped the tears from his eyes and took out his sword pointing it to the beast, "I will kill you, I swear on the lives of those you took." He was trembling but not from fear but rage that his body could not comprehend. The beast lifted his tail, high into the air aiming to crush his pitiful existence into dust.

"Let's get out of the way." Mathieus lifted riechford onto his horse as he galloped faster.

"Let me go, I have to kill that monstrosity."

"You can't, no human can." The eyes of riechford widened as he watched the neck of the beast grow, he seemed to have found something.

"I know how to kill it." He said as he looked to mathieus' eyes.

"How my lord?."

"We kill it from inside, and we go through it's ears." Pointed to the hole on it's head.

"That's insane my lord, how do we possibly get in and who is crazy enough to get..." He became silent as he knew riechford meant what he said.

"SKRRRRAGGGG!!!!"

More had joined the land of the dead.

**********************************

In the dungeons of the castle, Olivia sat before her mirror reading the contents of the book she had taken from the study room.

"The powers of the dark king was taken from him and shared to the seven races, each to protect it and never to use it against one another. The people of novien received two items for having participated more in the victory over the dark king. The crown on the head of the king and the wings of solitude which was hidden in the outskirts of the land." She gave a satisfactory smile as she closes the book. "What brings you here arion?."

"We have found the wings your Majesty." She paused before turning back to see the wings made of iron on the hands of Arion.

"Well then, let's get to the battlefield, shall we?." As she gave away a sinister smile.

Hope you enjoyed this chapter...
Thanks for reading😘😘😘.