Chapter 16

It was dark.

That was the first thing anyone would have noticed before stepping out into the uncovered space. Everything was damp too, humidity tended to take control of the air during the night. Little droplets of rain would fall randomly from time to time, but the drops never quite rained down all together at once. 

Shawn loved coming here. You could tell what a person was truly like just by bringing them to a place like The Net. At first, when you’re there, it’s all sweaty and damp. It was dark and fussy too. Not to mention, the net itself is actually painful to fall onto. He remembered the red burn marks he got just by jumping off of the roof during Choosing Day. But he didn’t complain. The minute the fall literally pushed the air out of his lungs, he knew he had to come back to this place and see what it was like during the night. It must’ve been a breath taking view, what with all the roofless ceiling and the perfect upsized hammock-like net you could lay on. 

The first night Shawn remembered about The Net was the first night his thoughts became too loud to endure. It was the first night he ever needed a quiet place to think, it was the first night he met you.

Even though your best friend had barked at him like a guard dog, he still felt his heart beating a few seconds too fast when he looked at you. Ever since his father died, he hid his feelings so well. Suddenly, the first time he looked at you amidst the Transfers, mortified about your fight against him, every single emotion he’s ever known came back to him like a gigantic wave washing over the sand forcefully, knocking the breath out of his lungs, just like the first time he fell onto The Net. Everything was happening too fast for him; looking at you, touching you, laughing with you, sitting next to you, the sight of you in his clothes, the sight of you talking, eating, blinking, blushing, stuttering, it was all too much. 

So automatically, he slipped out of the dormitory with only one place on his mind; The Net. It really was as beautiful as he expected. The moon shone as bright as the sun, the stars glittered structurally. There was something about the stars that looked as if they were meant to be there, that it wasn’t like looking at a dark velvet blanket with twinkling glitter thrown careless across it. The way the stars shone so surely, it made it look like they had a purpose. 

The stars made him think of you. 

Everything about that night did.

The way it was cold and dark yet warm and bright, the way it was rainy yet dry, the way it was quiet yet incredibly loud inside his head. It was the first night he ever took being in another faction. That night kind of made him wonder what it was like to listen to the strumming of Amity guitars, what Candor cigarettes tasted like, what it felt like to be detached with your own wants and needs like an Abnegation and what it was like to be sure like an Erudite. Oh, what he would give to understand the emotions he had that night. All he knew was that your face haunted his brain the first night he fell asleep on that net. 

Today, he was back to square one. He tried pushing you away, he tried comforting you, he tried kissing you but nothing seemed to get you out of his head. Especially after the way you fit into his family so beautifully earlier today. So now he was back here, under the velvet sky and the non-random stars, trying his best to think about anything other than your addicting existence but everything seemed to tug him back to the thought of you. 

“Shawn?” his ears perked at the soft, shy voice he grew to cherish. Was he hallucinating  now? Has he gone out of his mind?

“Shawn, is that you?” there it was again. He must be going crazy. Did the Erudites have salves for your mentality?

Don’t look for her, don’t look for her.

Shawn sighed as his head betrayed him, looking in the direction of her voice. To his utter surprise, you were actually standing there with your hands around your small frame to protect yourself from the cold of the night.