Chapter 24

"(y/n)?" 

You froze in your position, your cold hand turning limp in Shawn's. You could still hear Matt's ragged breaths and everyone's slight pants. 

"(y/n)?" Mahogany's voice drifted into the hallway again. 

Your body went into autopilot as it straightened up. You nodded, as if to conclude the argument you just had with Matt—and Shawn. Everyone's eyes were wide, but you couldn't feel them on you. Shawn was squeezing your hand over and over, but you couldn't reply. 

"Alright," you breathed. You could do this, you won the capture the flag game, you went through the first stage of initiation. You could do the second. "Okay." 

"Be dauntless, Soldier." you could hear Shawn whisper in your ear with hesitance, a hint of guilt in his voice as he wrapped his arms around you. You were too frozen to react to the nickname you chose earlier. The only thing you could do was dig deeper into his hoodie when he kissed your temple, your cold nose ring causing your nose to twitch as it squished against your skin. 

Your eyebrows creased as you walked towards the door at the end of the hallway. You could hear the fight echoing in your head. 

"I'm inlove with you, okay?"

"Matt," you frowned, stepping back. 

"No, I know." Matt sighed in defeat. I know this is the worst time to tell you but to be fair, you didn't exactly give me a heads up either," his eyes averted to Shawn for a split second. "Suddenly, out of no where, someone else took the position of being yours. You cant'e expect me to get over it overnight."

"I don't expect you to," your voice was small as you took a few steps back, grabbing Shawn's hand. "Look, Matt, I'm sorry it didn't work out with us. And to be fair, you never told me about how you felt."

"Oh please, (y/n). It was pretty obvious." Matt's tone was now angrier than before.

"Well, I'm sorry that I'm not a mind reader." you snapped. Although, instead of getting angry, Matt looked even more defeated and you had to refrain from giving him a hug. Instead, you stood your ground, your hand only tightening around Shawn's.

"Yeah." Matt clenched his jaw. "I'm sorry, too." 

After that, shockingly, Shawn stepped up. 

"I couldn't keep my promise." Shawn stepped forward. "It's my fault, Matt. I'm sorry." 

"What promise?" you snatched your hand out of Shawn's grip. What the hell was he talking about?

"I-" Shawn hesitated. 

All the other boys' eyes were wide, waiting for Shawn's decision and Matt's reaction. Obviously, you and Marlene were the only ones who didn't know what was going on. 

"Before we met," Shawn turned to you. "B-before the fight that training day, I already liked you, like I told you last night. That was all true, (y/n), you have to know that I wasn't lying." 

Your eyes were wide, your body frozen. 

"Okay? So?" 

Matt sighed deeply, half-annoyed and half-defeated. "He knew I liked you, and so did Cameron, Gilinsky, Johnson, Cameron, Nash, Uriah, Taylor, Aaron, Shawn, Al, Will, Carter," his voice wavered upon saying Carter's name. Your heart jolted. "That's why I won during that fight against Cameron. He made a comment about me liking you and I snapped. Y-you made me a better fighter." he shifted his weight from foot to foot.