Chapter 13

You had awoken with an alarming start. The remaining images of your dream about Shawn slowly fading away as the sadness and worry-caused by Matt, Carter and Visiting Day, which was today-sunk in. Whatever fluttery feeling you had was gone now. Welcome back to the real world, where pain and sadness haunts you to no end. 

You got up earlier than the other transfers, giving you a head start to slip in to whatever clean black clothes you head in your drawer. Last night, after the awkward training session, Christina and Tris came up to you, offering you to doll you up for Visiting Day. You agreed since you didn’t really feel like fretting over girly clothing. They probably knew how to dress to impress better than you anyways. 

You looked around the room. It felt lonely with Matt lightly snoring on one side and Carter’s empty bed on the other. Even in his sleep, Matt’s back was turned to you. After catching you in Shawn’s arms last night, Matt didn’t mention a single word, didn’t even look at you the whole training session. All he did was punch at that damn punching bag like there was no tomorrow. As you stood up, you could see the red blood stains on his sheet where his battered hand gripped it. 

You didn’t have time to think about how much looking at him hurt, and how much it hurt even more to think about Shawn. You slipped out of the dormitory soundlessly. You didn’t let thoughts about boys envelop you as you walked towards the only clothing store in Dauntless headquarters. Your mind was on your family. Life in Dauntless had been so difficult that you didn’t even have time to think about them. You didn’t even know if they would show up. Did you want them to? 

You shook your head free of thoughts, breathing in preparation before walking into the small store. It was a little early and Visiting Day started just before noon. Not to mention, everyone had been preparing for today weeks before you so the store probably wouldn’t be very busy today anyways. 

“(y/n)!” you were pulled out of your thoughts by Tris’s voice as she and Christina came up to you. 

“Hi.” you smiled, hugging the girls.

“So, are you ready for a makeover?” Christina’s dark eyes were wide with excitement. 

“As long as it’s not too extreme…” you chuckled nervously.

“Don’t worry,” Tris waved a hand dismissively. “She’s just over excited.” she bumped her hips with Christina. Christina rolled her eyes, slinging an arm over Tris’s shoulder. Your eyes softened, you’ve always wanted a girl best friend. Because your father was a respected nurse slash doctor-or as much of a nurse slash doctor an Amity could get-of the Amity clinic, you always hung around there. Which is probably the reason why you’re always so comfortable with Brent and Jacob at the Dauntless clinic. For some reason, the boys were always the ones with injuries so you ended up having more boy best friends than girls. 

That was actually how you met Carter. He came in with a bleeding knee on the first day of school and your dad made you fix a wound he got from falling on one of the oak tree’s giant roots. After that, he told you that you had less ‘cooties’ than the other girls, which means that you were ‘allowed’ to be his friend. Of course, at that age, you didn’t necessarily wanted to be his friend. Now, you would do anything to hug his stupid skinny body one more time. 

“Hey, you okay?” Tris pulled you out of your thoughts. You realized that her big doe eyes were staring down at you in concern. 

“Yeah, it’s just been a rough night.” you rubbed your face with your hands lazily. “Another transfer didn’t make the cut.”

“Right. Mahogany told us you passed out last night during dinner. Were you two close?” Christina asked. You could practically see the sympathy shimmering in her dark eyes.