Chapter 18

"Aaron?" Mahogany’s head popped out from the end of the hallway again. 

Everyone inhaled sharply. 

"That’s what I get for having a name that starts with the letter A." Aaron huffed. Some initiates chuckled, wishing him good luck. Your voice melted in with theirs but you weren’t paying attention, you were too busy fussing over Jeanine in your head. What had she meant when she said that you were going to need luck? Why did she look at you longer than everyone else?

"It’s probably nothing, (y/n)." Nash’s hand was on your bent back, rubbing it comfortably. Out of the corner of your eyes, you could see Matt giving Nash a furious look, causing Nash to hesitate and retreat his hand, folding it back in his lap. From the other side of the room, Cameron snickered. You pretended not to notice anything. 

"If it’s nothing, how did you know I was stressing over it? It’s something and you noticed it too." you were probably rambling now. To be honest, you weren’t even sure if that was what you were nervous about. It was everything: the serums, the tests, the initiation, Jeanine, Shawn, Matt, and maybe even a little bit of Gilinsky. Let’s be real here, you can’t just erase a sight like that out of your mind. 

You returned to reality when you saw that Nash and Matt switched places. Matt was now sitting next to you. At first, you thought that Shawn’s poker face was scary. Matt’s was even creepier. At least, when Shawn was being stone silent, you didn’t know him well yet. Matt was your best friend, you weren’t used to this cold side of him. 

The last time you were next to Matt, you cried in his arms in front of everyone. You’ve been doing that a lot lately, you realized. What was up with all the crying? You thought Dauntless initiation was supposed to make you stronger? 

You two were silent. Everyone was silent, anticipating what Matt was going to do next. The heavy tension filled the room, suffocating everyone. Moments passed. More silence. 

"You’re going to be okay, you know?" Matt finally spoke up. Some of the initiates were being discrete about eavesdropping but you could see them at least twitch an eyebrow. Shawn still didn’t move. It made you even more nervous. 

"You think so?" you didn’t turn to look at him. You knew Matt wasn’t facing you either. 

"Oh, come on,” Matt let out a scoff-like snort. “You were worried about the first stage too. Look at where you ended up.” you realized that he wasn’t trying to be the antagonist, he was still your Matt. 

"Yeah, but look at where Carter wound up." you were looking at him now, not caring about the other people listening. They knew how vulnerable, there was no point in hiding it. Well, that, and maybe the nerves were making you a bit loquacious, too. 

"You’ve got to stop blaming yourself for that, (y/n).” Matt turned to look at you. You could see the longing in his eyes that you didn’t even notice a few days ago. How did you two get into this mess? 

You could almost see the magnet between you two, the way his fingers were reaching towards your hand, the way his feet were facing yours, the way his body caved in into your direction. You could see it now, the way he wanted you. But you could also see the way he hesitated and it broke your heart. You wish you could give him the love he so obviously wants. 

"I know." you almost forgot to reply. "I just…" you looked down at your hands as if they might hold the rest of your sentence. 

"I know." Matt’s words mirrored yours. He turned, facing the front again so that his body was no longer facing yours. You watched him lean his head against the pristine white wall, his Adam’s apple protruding when he sighed. "Me, too."