Chapter 21

A/N: GUYS! SORRY ITS BEEN SO LONG. I'VE BEEN CRAZY FOCUSING ON SCHOOL BUT ON THE BRIGHT SIDE I HV GOOD GRADES NOW AND I CAN WRITE MORE BC IM ALMOST DONE WITH FINALS YAY!

You and the other initiates—including Mahogany and Jacob—were now close to the tattoo parlor. You could hear Jeanine's tight, creepily calm voice and Tori's irritable one. 

"Shh," Mahogany was leading the group, a finger on her lips to keep everyone quiet. "I don't know if we should be here." 

"The boy didn't know he was Divergent!" Jeanine's voice suddenly broke composure. Will—who was behind you and Shawn—didn't even wince, used to his ex-faction leader's ticking time bomb-like attitude. 

"He was put under the Candor serum and confessed that he had no idea he wasn't Dauntless! How are we supposed to handle the boy if we did his trial in front of Candors? How the hell are we supposed to punish someone who is technically innocent?!" Bart's normally booming voice was louder than usual. 

"Make him Factionless like the rest of them, isn't that how you've always handled this situation?!" Tori fired back. She was about to yell out something else but it was too late. Bart's words made an impact on everyone differently. Shawn's eyes were wide as if he has just faced the worst betrayal of his life, Johnson was already up on his feet and ready to launch, Jacob looked angry just upon hearing Bart's voice, and Taylor was bouncing on his feet, itching to get inside the tattoo parlor. 

All at once, everyone surged through the entrance, different expressions on their faces. You and Shawn stood side by side, hands interlocked confidently. Immediately, the three of them went silent. 

"Where is Aaron?" Johnson was the first to speak up, his voice breaking. From the corner of your eye, you could see rainbow dyed hair hiding behind drapes, which probably lead to the staff room. You noted that Imogen, the girl who did Johnson and Aaron's tattoos was there, eavesdropping on the conversation just as you and your friends were seconds ago. 

"Jack Johnson, isn't it?" Jeanine raised an eyebrow nonchalantly as if she wasn't just arguing with Tori a few seconds ago. Jack Johnson nodded curtly. You silently put together that both Johnson and Gilinsky had the same first name. "Aaron has failed the Dauntless initiation as he is Divergent. I'm sorry for your loss." she said the words as if Aaron had died. Jeanine left Johnson to choke on his own breath as she exited without showing any ounce of emotion. Shawn caressed the side of your hand with his thumb. You hooked your thumb with his. 

When Jeanine was finally out of earshot, Jacob stood forward, eyes raging at Bart. 

"Where have you been?!" Jacob's normally smooth voice shocked everyone when it echoed through the cave like tattoo parlor. You could tell that even Tori—who was still trying to decipher the argument she just had—jumped at his voice. 

"Excuse me?" Bart's face was tight with tension. 

"Why weren't you at the second stage of initiation? If you were there, Mahogany wouldn't have gotten hurt!" it was obvious that Jacob's anger was a result of his feelings for Mahogany.

Bart was about to yell back but Mahogany was the one who stepped forward. 

"I can take care of myself!" her authoritative Dauntless leader mask was back on. Shawn tightened his hand around yours. You squeezed back. 

"I-" Jacob's eyes were wide with shock, his pupils returning back to it's normal size. He realized how his words sounded as if Mahogany wasn't capable of doing things alone, causing the guilt to show obviously on his face. "I didn't mean it like that." his voice softened.