Chapter 19

The hallway was silent as everyone tried to comprehend what just happened. Were the sirens a bad thing? Was Aaron okay? Was that normal? He was only in there for about 5 minutes. Was 5 minutes the average time? Would you pass? 

“Cameron?” Mahogany was no longer upbeat as she solemnly called out for Cameron. Everyone’s eyes turned to the Dauntless Born. Thoughts of him shirtless no longer filled your head. All you could see now were his frightened eyes and the slight shake of his hand. 

Everyone watched Cameron with worried eyes as he tried his best to gather himself before walking towards the end of the hallway. 

“Come in.” you could hear Mahogany’s soft voice as they disappeared behind the closed door. 

Everyone took a few seconds to get rid of the shock before returning back to their seats. It was all disoriented now. It seems as though everybody just went to the side of the wall they were closest to, which caused Marlene to sit next to Matt. 

You sighed, turning around to find Shawn already saving a spot next to him for you. You offered him a small smile, which he returned. Once you took your seat, Shawn quickly snaked an arm around your waist, pulling your body closer to his. 

Your cheeks heated as you looked around to try and get rid of your blush. Your eyes drifted around the hallway to see that everyone was staring at you and Shawn. Your eyes laid on Uriah, who was pursing his lips in amusement, his eyebrows raising suggestively. You stuck out your tongue out at him, even though your cheeks were a scarlet red. Everyone else laughed lightly at your reaction, uplifting the glum spirits of the small hallway you were all trapped in. 

“Are you okay?” you could feel Shawn’s nose tickle your ear as he whispered to you. Well, there goes all attempts of hiding your blush. 

“I don’t know.” you answered honestly, turning your body towards him so that only he could hear your words. You were sitting real close now, facing each other as your bodies caved towards each other. Your head was bowed so some of your hair covered your face, hopefully muffling the private thoughts that you were sharing with Shawn. “Are you?” you looked up at him, some strands of hair still covering your face. 

“Honestly? No.” he chuckled a bit. You felt one of his arms reaching for your hips so that he could half hug you, the other hand tucking your loose strands behind your ear. You frowned upon his words. “But I’m better now,” he breathed, his eyes avoiding your sad gaze. “-Better with you.” he said quickly, as if he was admitting it. You had no idea how red your cheeks were by then, and quite frankly, you didn’t care. 

“Good.” you answered simply, a grin growing upon your face as you sunk deeper into Shawn’s thick hoodie. Shawn shyly looked up at you, eyes wide with wonder like a child’s. Your eyes fluttered as his thumb caressed the shadows of your cheekbones. You supposed this was beginning to be a habit of his. You didn’t mind, though. 

“You guys are so cute together.” you heard Marlene’s sickly sweet voice from the other side of the hallway. You and Shawn abruptly pulled apart from each other. 

“Uh, thanks, Marlene.” Shawn offered a polite smile. You, on the other hand, were not amused. All you did was raise an eyebrow to heighten the straight face you were pulling at her. 

“Don’t you think so, Matt?” Marlene nudged Matt, who was shuffling uncomfortably in his seat. 

“Y-yeah. They’re adorable.” you silently thanked Matt that he wasn’t purposely trying to be mean or rude like Marlene. 

“I hope you two will last.” Marlene’s desperately wide smile was pushing it, and you knew that Shawn was able to tell. The hallway was once again awkwardly silent thanks to Marlene’s antics.