Chapter 14

"Are you worried?” Tris spoke up. You were bouncing your legs up and down nervously as you sat at The Pit with Tris and Christina, waiting for everyone else to come so Visiting Day could start. So far, only her, Uriah, Taylor, and Shawn has showed up. It was incredibly awkward.

At first, you had thought about talking to Uriah but as soon as Taylor came walking in-or more like out, The Pit was an open space in the large cave-he walked up to Uriah, getting to him before you could. And it definitely wasn’t like you could’ve just walked up to Shawn and spark up a conversation that didn’t include major blushing or stuttering conversations. Stupid Taylor. Stupid Shawn. 

“I don’t know. I have no idea how my parents feel about my choice.” you shrugged. But Shawn,who was across from you, sitting on a large rock as he scuffed his shoes on the stoned floor over and over again, knew that you were tense and nervous from the way you shrugged your shoulders higher than usual.

Maybe you weren’t aware, but when you were happy or relaxed, your shoulders slumped. And when you were angry or scared, your shoulders tensed. It was weird. Shawn looked down, embarrassed that he was able to recite that by heart in his head. 

“You guys didn’t talk about factions before Choosing Day? I’m sure they must’ve hinted at something?” Christina asked. 

“Not really. I was never that close with my parents. They were extra kind and caring because they were Amities, all the parents were like that. So again, I don’t know.” you shrugged, but somehow your back managed to stay in it’s straightened posture. 

“Well if they’re a no-show, you can hang out with me and the Mendes’?” Tris suggested, gesturing subtly at Shawn. 

Your eyes widened as images of how it could go wrong and awkward flashed in your mind. “No, that’s okay. I wouldn’t want to intrude.” 

“Don’t be ridiculous, even Christina’s joining us.” Tris waved a hand dismissively.

“Girl, here,” Christina clicked her tongue. “Shawn! Come here.” she didn’t really need to shout since he was only about seven meters away, sitting on the opposite wall of The Pit. 

“Chris!” Tris’s eyes widened. 

You swore under your breath, quickly looking away. Anywhere but those stupidly pretty brown eyes. You looked up just in time to see Christina smirk down at you before putting a hand on Shawn’s shoulder. 

He looked nervous and shaky. You could almost tell that if he were to open his mouth, he was going to be a stuttering, blubbering mess. 

“(y/n) can hang with us if her family doesn’t come, right?” Christina cocked her head to the side casually. You’ve forgotten that Christina used to be a Candor. 

“Uhh, yeah, why not?” Shawn tried his best to muster up a smile but his wide, alert eyes made him look like a scared little child. It would’ve been adorable if it weren’t for the fact that the idea of you joining him for the day is what was making him so terrified. 

“See?” Tris gave you a weak smile. 

“Okay.” you bit your lip nervously. “Thanks, Shawn.” you didn’t look up to make eye contact.

“No problem.” you could tell that he was avoiding eye contact too. Suddenly, rowdy hollers and whoops echoed through The Pit. You looked over to one of the hallway openings to see that the other initiates had arrived, already dressed in different black clothing. It was nice to see them in something other than the baggy training clothes.

However, it wasn’t too nice to see that Matt had noticed the fact that you were sitting with Shawn standing in front of you. It probably looked like you guys have been talking there the whole morning. You tried your best not to look at your heartbroken best friend. Out of the corner of your eye, you could see Nash’s eyes shifting from you, to Shawn, to Matt and then back to you, a wide-eyed look on his face that meant, “uh-oh”. Yes, Nash. Uh-oh indeed.