05 | closer

"You can go back to preparing now. I'll watch over her while you get ready for your performance."

Jisoo was laid down onto a cushioned surface, presumably in the staff room of the venue. For once, she was glad she was acting unconscious, as the walk to their current location mostly consisted of awkward silence from both parties.

"Way to start an award ceremony, aha," Taehyung grimaced. "Thanks for taking her. I never expected her to faint when I offered to help her."

With a final nervous chuckle, Jisoo heard the male leave the vicinity, his footsteps fading in the distance. The noise dissipated after a few seconds.

"He's gone."

Jisoo finally opened her eyes to see smug grin painted on Bobby's face. She crinkled her nose, glad to be able to move again after being carried across the venue.

"What's the expression for?" Jisoo asked, slightly irritated.

"Fainting? Really?" Bobby seemed amused, grinning from ear to ear at the female.

"Yah, that was my last resort! He wasn't interested at all. Unless laughing in my face is some modern sign of attraction."

Bobby couldn't hold back his laughter any longer, bursting at Jisoo's apparent annoyance.

"Hey, at least you got him interested in the end," the male managed to tease after calming down from his fit of laughter. "Too bad he probably thinks you have a heart condition or something. Maybe you fainted because he was just too hot to hand— Ow!"

The brunette delivered a sharp jab to Bobby's gut with her elbow, having enough of his teasing. The male rubbed the inflicted spot tenderly with a look of faux betrayal on his face.

"If I wasn't pretending to be passed out, I would've done that much earlier."

The screams of the crowd were deafening, even as Jisoo was seated far apart from them. She fiddled with the water bottle that was offered at her table located in front of the stage, her mind wandering as she waited for the awards show to commence.

The agent marveled at the amount of fans holding onto a certain bomb-shaped lightstick. If she thought her target's group was popular from the pictures she studied, then they were practically legendary now. The dull glow of the lightsticks in the background of the photos were nothing compared to their real-life capacity. The whole venue was practically illuminated by the bombs.

Already, Jisoo had heard several screams from fans declaring their undying love for the group. She felt awkward to say the least, knowing that this state of peace, this state of happiness, would shatter because of her. Jisoo took a deep breath.

'It's okay,' she mentally chanted as if it was a mantra. 'Just kill him. Then everything will be back to normal. You'll return to the agency. You'll have other missions. He'll be gone.'

"—soo. Jisoo!"

Suddenly, a hand was placed on the female's shoulder and she nearly jumped out of her seat. Pulled her thoughts, Jisoo met eyes with a very concerned redhead.

"I've never seen you like this before. Are you sure you're okay?" Rosé asked gently as if she was fragile.

"Ye-yeah, I am. It's just... hot with all of these lights." Jisoo attempted to reassure her partner.

She wasn't sure herself why her nerves seemed to get the best of her. She wasn't even aware that she could feel this way anymore, given her past.

Rosé seemed unconvinced, yet dropped the topic with a few comforting pats to her back.

"Drink some water, the ceremony is about to start."

Jisoo nodded, already twisting open the cap of the bottle. Before she could finish gulping the cool liquid, however, the lights dimmed and suddenly the stage screens lit up in introduction. Jisoo shot a composed look at Rosé when her partner looked for her reaction, yet her anxiousness proved her otherwise. She didn't think she'd ever be ready.