Chapter Fourteen

Having convinced Mira, we followed Keira from the factory back to the town, where we followed her to a black, sprawling gothic-like church that was located on the south side of town. Since we didn't want to be spotted, I parked my bike on the other side of the street in an abandoned plaza and we made our way across the street and into an alley that was next to the church and hid behind a dumpster.

I sighed. "She just had to go the ghetto, didn't she?" I said, as I looked around at the abandoned and worn-down buildings. Of course, not every building was abandoned as there were a few gun shops, adult stores, cheap grocery stores and strip clubs still open.

"So, what's the game plan here, team captain?" Mira said mockingly.

I glared at her, annoyed at her obvious mocking. Though, I didn't answer her, at least, not right away. Instead, I looked around for a way in and I spotted a door that looked like it led into a basement.

"Follow me," I replied.

Having found an alternate way in, Mira and I walked over to the basement doors and I tried opening it, but of course it was locked, so I used my enhanced strength to break the lock and I opened the doors. Unsurprisingly it was dark and damp.

"Ladies first," I said, making a welcoming gesture as I did.

Mira rolled her eyes at me and she descended the stairs with me right behind her.Since the basement had little light, that light coming from outside, I looked around for a light switch, but I kept tripping over items and I couldn't manage to find a switch.

"Damnit, I hate going into dark places."

"You're the one who wanted to go in here."

"I know."

"Just use your night vision."

"Night vision?"

"Yeah, you've used it before haven't you?"

I blinked. I had totally forgotten about that. "Oh yeah, but how do I activate it?"

"Just close your eyes and adjust them."

"Yeah, that doesn't really explain anything."

Mira growled, she was annoyed at the fact that I wasn't understanding what she was saying. "Its kind of hard to explain, it just sort of happens naturally. Its like trying to explain how arms and legs are move."

"Right,well, I guess I'll give it a shot."

Doing what Mira told me to do, I closed my eyes and I tried to adjust them. Though, I didn't really know what I was doing, so I just moved my eyes around for a bit and then I opened them, and much to my surprise, I was now able to see in the dark.

"Hey, would you look at that, it actually worked."

"See?"

"Now where are those lights?"

Now that I had figured out how to activate my night vision, I searched for the light switch and upon finding one,I turned on the lights. With the lights on, we were able to see without having to rely on our night vision and I went back to my normal sight and I looked around for a door that would lead into the church. And past some metal shelves that were lined up in rows, was a black door.

Mira and I walked over to it and I opened it slightly to see what was on the other side, which was a corridor with arced window frames and a door that led into a large room.