chapter 5- Crush Advice

kenzie's p.o.v

"Johnny?" I said knocking on the door. I heard a sigh, a shuffle and then the door opened.

He stepped aside, letting me in.

"What's wrong? Why did you run off like that?"

He didn't say anything.

I flopped myself down on his bed, patting the empty spot next to me.

He sat down, a frown touching his features.

"Is everything okay?"

He shook his head and took a deep breath.

"You're stressing me out here buddy what's going on?" I attempted a bit of humor to get something out of him.

A small smile and a shake of his head.
"it's..it's this girl." He paused thoughtfully.

My tires of curiosity came to a screeching halt.

A girl?

He took my silence as encouragement to go on.

"She's been on my mind a lot. You know me, I...I never date. I don't know how this makes me feel. It's weird."
He frowned.

I felt as if someone snatched my heart out from my chest and crushed it in front of me. Hearing these words come out of Johnny's mouth was as good as a saw cutting right through me.

He's never spoken to me about a girl.
Not once.

Somehow this feels worse than all his mindless hookups I'm aware of.
It's a specific girl.
A girl who's caught his eye.

I knew the girl he'd spend his days thinking about would never be me, but damn this hurts a lot more than I thought it would.

Who is this girl?
I don't know her but I resent her so deeply already.

"Kenz?" He repeated snapping me out of my daze.
"Uh..I think that when you like someone you think you have a chance with you should go for it." I blabbered stupidly.

"Someone you have a chance with? What does that mean?" He teased me playfully.

"You know what I mean." I sighed.

"Umm..who is this girl?" I asked after a beat. A part of me hoped he wouldn't answer. I don't want to know.
I don't think I could take it.

His eyes are fixated on my face and he hesitates for a moment before opening his mouth.

"So she's-"

"JOHN! Can you come down here for a moment!"
I could hear Darian holler from all the way downstairs.

Johnny's jaw ticked.
"Wait Darian not now!"

"NOW!"

It was a welcome disruption.
Now that I think about it, I don't think I can stand to hear her name.
It'll just make it more real.

"Go John." I slowly start to get up.

His hand halts me, "No wait. We're not done talking. I'll see what she wants and be right back."

I didn't think I could last another second here with him right now. I needed to get away before I say or do something really stupid.

Like confess I like him and beg him to forget this other girl.

"Um you know what, I'm gonna head back now. It's late."

"What's the rush?" He frowned.

"Lots of homework. Math. Big pile! I really should go get on it." I prattled, heading towards the window.