Chapter 8 - Give a little

My feet pounded against the asphalt as I raced through Brookfield's streets

My feet pounded against the asphalt as I raced through Brookfield's streets. The buildings flashed by until they became a blur and I was certain, I've never run that fast before.

My mind flashed back to the thing on the autopsy table that was once a human being. Then back to the night I was attacked. I may not be able to remember what attacked me but I knew for sure it had to have been the thing that killed that man.

And they found the body so close to my home, where my mother and brother slept soundly at night. That, above all else terrified me to no end. So, I ran. Harder and faster than ever before. I had to get home, I had to be sure.

It didn't bother me that Noah didn't believe me.

That's a lie.

Okay, so it bothered me a little. I poured out my heart and told him everything he wanted to know, but that still wasn't good enough. Deep down I knew, I couldn't actually blame him but I still wanted him to believe me. That's exactly why I didn't want to tell anyone about it, I didn't want them looking at me like I was a monster. 

I raced through town in a blur, my speed accelerating as I saw my house come into view.

Mom's car was parked in the driveway and I knew she was home. What surprised me, was the blue Honda parked behind her car. I tried to get my breathing back to normal as I pushed open the front door. 

"Syd, it that you?" My mom called from the living room.

I didn't miss the slight worry in her tone.

"Yeah mom, it's me."

I walked to the living room and stopped in my tracks. The man standing up from the couch looking at me and a small smile pulled at his lips. Blue eyes so close to my own stared back at me but he remained quiet.

"Dad? What are you doing here?"

Mom stopped my dad before he could say anything "Where were you? The school sent you all home because they found a body and you thought today would be the perfect day to stay out late?"

I frowned "It's not late mom!" I looked at the clock and saw that I had spent almost two hours with Noah after they sent us home, "Besides the curfew is only six pm."

 "I don't care, you were supposed to come home or at least call and let me know!"

"Okay Andrea, calm down, she's home now." my dad said. 

I held my breath as anger flared in my mom's eyes, but she quickly masked it as if it hadn't even been there. She took a deep breath and turned her gaze towards my dad. 

"You know what Tom, you're right. Why the hell would I have to worry about my daughter when they just found a body in the woods?" sarcasm dripped from my mom's words and I even flinched.