Chapter 20 - Friend or foe

Noah was staring at me with his mouth gaping open

Noah was staring at me with his mouth gaping open. His eyes never blinked and I was sure that he had gone into shock. I had just divulged the news of my dream to him. We were perched on the bleachers, Noah was wearing a fluffy coat and some warm mittens. Every now and then the wind would whip past us making him shiver.

Rolling my eyes, I snapped my fingers in front of his face. When that didn't work, I clasped my hands together mere inches away from his nose.

Noah jumped back startled and slammed his jaw shut, "Really Syd, was that necessary?"

"Well you looked catatonic, I didn't know what else to do," I said.

"Let's see if I got this right, Dr. Benette tries to eat you alive. Then Miranda, who is also the mother of your best friend, tries to bury you alive," Noah paused and shook his head, "Either this is karma or you're just really unlucky."

"Thank you for that accurate summary but, I really don't think Leah has nothing to do with this," I said in defense of my best friend.

I might not have been a hundred percent sure but I've known Leah for a long time. She was not a part of this. It's not like kids always know what goes on in their parent's jobs anyway.

"We can't just ignore the fact that Miranda tried to kill you, what happens if she recognizes you next time?"

"Noah, I was eaten halfway and covered in dirt. I'm sure my own mother wouldn't have recognized me," I countered back, "besides, I don't really want to have the next time."

The shrill sound of the school bell echoed across the field, snapping my attention away from Noah. I sighed, the last thing I wanted to think about was school. Getting up to leave Noah grabbed my hand halting my motion.

"Remember we're meeting Peter in the library after school."

I nodded my head and walked back to the school building. Ambling through the school hallway, I saw multiple self-made posters for the winter formal on the walls. They were plastered all over the school, some even made it all the way to the girl's bathroom. I could never understand the appeal of dressing up in freezing weather let alone dancing.

Then there were my friends who for some reason all believed Noah would ask me. I wasn't the most religious person but at that moment, I started praying really hard that they were just blowing smoke. On top of everything that was happening, toss in my constant awkward behavior and that was a recipe for disaster. So, I decided I was going to do what I do best. Ignore it.

 Ignore it