Chapter 31 - Almost-dead people

I waited for what felt like an eternity

I waited for what felt like an eternity. The creatures behind the glass had settled a few minutes after Noah and Peter left, leaving me in silence. Every now and then one of the creatures would shuffle from one side of the glass cage to another. The wait was driving me stir crazy. An alarm sounded somewhere above my head and I nearly jumped out of my skin. It wailed incessantly, piercing the quiet around me. 

A mechanical lock buzzed next to be and the door opened on it's own.

Well, that's not creepy at all.

I needed to keep that door open if I wanted to escape this place. Next, to the door, there was a metal arm that that seemed to open and close the door automatically. Pushing a chair close, I hopped up on to it and grabbed the cold steel in my hands. I pushed the joint inward until a crack sounded above the alarm screams. At least now the door won't be able to close on its own, I left the door slightly ajar and jumped off the chair.

I let out heavy breath just when a door banged somewhere in the hall. Feet rushed past my door and I looked around frantically for somewhere to hide. Spotting one of the desks in the corner, I quickly forced my body into the small space underneath, using the chair and pulled it to shield myself from anyone who came into the room.

Feet thundered down the hallway and I heard the angry voice of Miranda Freeman bellowing just outside the door. 

"Find them you, idiots! They couldn't have gone far."

"Dr. Freeman, an upstairs guard just spotted them on the fifth floor. He lost them but it seems they're heading for the downstairs parking," a man with a deep voice replied, nearly out of breath.

"Get there now!" Miranda hissed at the man.

The footsteps receded until I heard another door shut. Letting go of the breath I'd been holding I crawled out of my hiding spot. This was good it meant Noah and Peter were on their way out. It also meant Dr. Freeman won't be looking for me.

I listened at the door but heard nothing. Turning back to the creatures behind the glass, I racked my brain for a way to get them out. The blood smear on the other side of the glass confirmed that if they couldn't get out, I couldn't get in. There was also no slide for a key-card so even if I had it that was out of the question. There was a fire extinguisher against the wall. I looked at the computers, time to see if brute force would work. With my heart in my throat, I pulled the fire extinguisher from the wall and approached the computers.

I smashed the first set but nothing happened. There was probably no point in smashing the others, so instead, I tossed the fire extinguisher aside and crawled underneath the desk. Yanking the cables out the screens went black but still, nothing happened.

Dammit!

I needed to figure out a way to get the creatures out or I wouldn't be able to get out of here. I walked around the glass cages. At the very back, there were cables running to a screen. With a tentative hand, I touched the screen and the monitor blinked before going on. At the top, there was a logo for biotech and two bars for a name and a password.