Chapter 18 - A bitter pill to swallow

The diner was abuzz with life, people came in and out and all the booths were soon filled

The diner was abuzz with life, people came in and out and all the booths were soon filled. Peter sat across from me and Noah, his green eyes were narrowed and confusion marred his features. 

I swallowed the lump in my throat, "We were hoping you could help us, we believe Biotech is responsible for the recent deaths in Brookfield as well as your sister's disappearance."  

Looking up I held Peter's gaze, suddenly he looked away and gave a humorless laugh, "You two think you're so funny, huh?" his face turned into a sneer, "Do think this is a joke? My sister is missing and you're wasting my time," he slammed his fist against the tabletop making a few patrons shoot us questioning glares.

"You honestly think we would have called you here for a joke?" Noah spat.

"Both of you need to calm down right now. We don't have time for this!"

I pulled the locket from my pocket and handed it over to Peter. While I did a google search for Dr. Benette, I had seen her wearing this in multiple photographs. It must have been important to her and I'm sure she would have wanted her brother to have it.  

"Where did you get that?" he asked hoarsely.

"I found it in the woods," I said before glancing at Noah, he gave a slight nod and I continued, "We did some research and came across your blog. Your sister was wearing this in a photo you posted."

Peter nodded his head, "Okay, so how are two teenagers on Biotech's trail? Better question why haven't you gone to the police?" 

I swallowed the bile that was rising up in my throat but before anyone of us could reply a waitress came to our table with her little notebook in hand.

"What can I get for you guys?" she asked.

I knew we wouldn't be able to just sit here without ordering, the boys had their jaws set, glaring at each other. It looked like some intense staring contest. So it was left to me to place an order.

"Three regular coffees," I peeked at her name tag then back, "thank you, Laura."

"Coming right up," she smiled and hurried back to the counter.

"We can't go to the police, if we do Biotech finds out about Syd and they will kill her," Noah said through gritted teeth.

He was gripping my hand so tightly that the blood was trapped in the tips of my fingers. We grew quiet as Laura brought us our coffees, the tension radiating of off us in waves, the boys giving off mostly deadly anger that felt like it was suffocating me.

"I was attacked in the woods, it changed me and we believe Biotech is behind it. The same thing that attacked me killed another person and Biotech covered it up. So far you're the only connection we have with them."

"And if we go to the police now we will be putting Syd in danger and with no actual evidence Biotech can easily shove everything under the rug," Noah continued.