Chapter 14 - The First Theory

My walk to school was refreshing

My walk to school was refreshing. I had more bounce in my step and my determination to save my school year was still high. But my mood plummeted the moment I stepped through the school doors and found Noah waiting for me. He casually leaned against my locker and I gritted my teeth.

How many times do I have to tell this kid to stay away from me?

He looked up and his eyes locked on me but the usual smile he wore, was gone. I walked to my locker and ignored Noah. 

"Well, good morning to you too. You can't just run off into the woods like that!"

I sighed, "I told you to leave me alone, Noah."

"No, you said, if I was smart I would stay away. Besides my dad got news from Sunnyvale."

I started walking away from him. Talking to him didn't work and I couldn't be involved in this anymore. I was going to pretend like everything is normal even if it kills me. Noah ran around me until he was in front of me, he gripped my shoulders and I couldn't help nut look at him. He was annoyingly good looking. Almost as annoying as his personality.   

My eyes went from his face to the hand still resting on my shoulder. When my eyes locked back on Noah's he was blushing. He pulled his hand away as if he got stung and I felt a little hurt.

He cleared his throat, "Please, Syd. This is really important."

"Yeah and so is my life! Look, I appreciate that you kept quiet about everything but I need to get back to my life. I'm failing every class and now my mother wants to kill me. So believe me when I say, I have no time for this right now."

Noah's mouth fell open, "Wait, you're failing? As in failing school?"

I clenched my fists next to my side to stop myself from punching him, "Yes and that's why whatever this is," I waved my hands between the two of us, "needs to stop."

"You can't just drop everything! This is about you so..." Noah trailed off and a smile broke out over his face. I had to stop myself from staring at him.

"If I help you get your grades back up then you need to help me figure this out."

Whatever spell Noah held me under, broke the moment he started speaking and I was snapped back to reality. 

I narrowed my eyes, "What, do you think I need help?" 

The first bell rang and students started making their way to class. 

"Yeah, I think you do. Look don't answer me now just think about it and meet me at the bleachers during lunch."

Noah turned and disappeared into the sea of bodies. I did think about what he said. All through the first few periods and on my way to the bleachers when the bell rang for lunch. He was right, if I wanted to catch up to almost two months worth of work, I was going to need help. The trepidation at hearing what he had to say about the dead body didn't waver though. As much as I tried to put that at the back of my mind, I couldn't.