Chapter 17 - Disillusions

The week had flown by very fast

The week had flown by very fast. Usually, time scraped by agonizingly slow, like a dull razor blade dragged across your skin. Now, the week was over, tomorrow was Friday and I would have to face Peter Benette.

Just to punish myself, even more, I googled images of Dr. E Benette. She was the most beautiful woman I had ever seen. With a golden river for hair, piercing green eyes and smile that lit up a room. Her eyes held humor and mischief but also a whole lot of intelligence.

I couldn't find any photos, Peter, he had a blog with his sister's story but that was about it. No photos, no numbers to call and no address. At least, Leah seemed to be warming to the idea of speaking to me. We've had a few casual chats and even wave and smile at each other now. It felt good but would it last?

Shawna was a whole different matter, she would give me the 'I'm going to kill you' look but then she'd just walk away and ignore me. I preferred it that way. The monster inside me wanted to rip her apart and I only went out to feed once after I left Noah in the woods.

I was busy brushing my teeth when my phone pinged in my room. Grabbing the phone off the dresser, I saw a text from Noah.

'Ready for tmrw?'

Quickly texting back my reply which was a resounding 'no', I flopped down on my bed and pulled the pillow over my head. I don't think I will ever be ready to meet Peter or be able to tell him about his sister. I know we decided to tell him as little as possible about his sister's death, but that didn't take away the guilt. Instead, it festered and had grown twice in size.

Sighing, I ran downstairs to find my mom sitting with a book and a cup of coffee on the kitchen island.

She looked up at me and smiled, "Want a cup of coffee honey, I couldn't sleep either?"

I nodded my head and smiled at mom. After she was done, I took a seat next to her. For a few minutes, neither of us said anything.

Taking a sip of coffee, I scrunched up my nose, mom looked up and saw my face.

"What's wrong?"

"Not strong enough," I said and my mom laughed.

"That's what happens if you cram an entire semesters work into one week, you get burned out and coffee loses its magic," mom tipped the coffee cup into a silent salute.

I laughed, despite that not being the actual reason I wanted my coffee strong. I was happy that mom and I were talking again.

We spent a few more minutes talking about school work but every now and then the conversation would drift towards Noah. I kept deflecting, I was not about to talk to my mother about Noah. I didn't even have a clue what was going on between us.

After finishing my coffee, I gave mom a side hug and said goodnight. My mood was slightly lighter, mom and I haven't talked like that in a while and I never realized how much I missed it.