Chapter 25 - Wait for the drop

"Mom, I'm home!" I shouted the moment I closed the front door

She came out of the kitchen looking bewildered, "And you had to announce that why?"

She arched her brow and I felt my face flush bright red. I knew she would have answers and if not, I needed the comfort one of mom's no-nonsense pep talks provided. Whatever I was thinking must have been written on my face because my mom did a double take. 

"You can't make a big deal out of this," I said and folded my arms across my chest.

To my further dismay and embarrassment, my mom's eyes went wide and an evil grin spread across her face. I knew this look all too well and this one terrified me even more than the 'You're in trouble' look. 

"This is about Noah, isn't it?"

"Remember, I said don't make a big deal! Or I'm not telling you."

She pulled back her smile and pursed her lips, with her hand she motioned for me to continue.

"Okay, so things have changed between us," I said hoping my mother could read between the lines.

"Changed how? Oh lord please tell me you're being safe?"

Clearly not.

Again my face exploded in a furious heat and I couldn't get the words out fast enough, "No! Mom, no... Where did that even come from? We almost kissed that's all!"

Too late, I realized the words tumbled out of my mouth and there was nothing I could do to take them back. I wished for a miracle at that point, actually, I wished the floor would open up and swallow me whole.

"Oh thank goodness," my mom said placing her hand over her heart before a smile danced on her lips, "so you guys almost kissed, how does almost even work?"

"Mom, not the point!"

"Okay, I'm sorry, but let's get some coffee before you tell me."

I followed my mom into the kitchen, grateful for some liquid courage, and sat down while she prepared two cups. She sat down and pushed a cup in front of me.

"Okay, now I think we're ready for this conversation, please continue," my mom said taking a sip of her coffee.

"As I said, things have changed and I don't know what to do about it."

"Well, do you want to do anything about it?"

"I don't know! That's why I'm asking you."

Mom laughed, "Honey, as much I wanted to, I can't make all your choices for you. You're gonna have to do this one on your own."

I sighed and put my head into my hands, "This is all just so complicated."

"Does that mean you like him?"