Chapter 7 - Don't Speak (Noah POV)

Noah POV

Noah POV

"I killed a deer... I killed it and then I ate it."

The words left her mouth in a rush. I felt my eyes widen in shock as the words left her mouth. Sydney had her eyes closed, refusing to look at me.

Definitely a zombie.

She wasn't like the other girls who fed on their popularity. She had her group of friends and she rarely talked to anyone else. Everyone in school thought it was because she was stuck-up but that was not true.

She was focused and driven but in the last two weeks, that had vanished. Even that didn't matter. This was the girl that I had secretly liked since kindergarten.

Now she was close to tears in the passenger seat of my truck and I had no words. This was not how I pictured my senior year to go.

I knew I had to say something, anything but my words fled. How was I even supposed to comfort someone who could possibly be a zombie and ate wild animals? I wasn't qualified for any of this and if someone as smart as Sydney was having a hard time, I didn't stand a chance to figure it out.

"So, you killed a deer?"

She looked at me, her blue eyes squinting. "Look, I know you're scared of me and I get that, but I can promise you I didn't... hurt anyone."

I could see the honesty in her eyes. If she didn't do it then what did? I got an idea and I knew in my gut Sydney was not going to like it. I started the truck and put it into reverse.

"Uhm, Noah where are we going?"

"To the Coroner's office, my dad got the body this morning. He's going to wait for the Sheriff to do the autopsy. And we're going to be there."

"Are you insane?" her eyes bulged and it looked like she was about to jump out of the truck.

"Well the way I see it we might know what we're up against if we go. Syd, whatever attacked you, attacked someone else and they're dead. We can't let this go."

The color drained from her face and she shook her head reluctantly.

"How are you planning on doing this?"

"Well, we're going to go there and check out the body, see if my dad has made any notes yet."

I parked the truck in the parking lot and hopped out. Sydney remained quiet the whole time. I could see how her face changed as thoughts flitted through her head. I wondered if she was thinking about the last time she was here.

When she finally hoped out to follow me I saw that the locks hadn't been replaced yet.

Did she break them?

The thought went through my head so fast there was no way to stop it. I was pulled back to the day she pushed me against the tree. I wasn't a small guy and I easily towered over her small frame, but her strength made it impossible for me to move. Then her eyes changed and I was paralyzed by fear.