Chapter 2 - Hunger Pains

My weekend was filled with hunger

My weekend was filled with hunger. Tiny pin-pricks traveled all along my skin like someone was stabbing needles into my flesh. The vacuum in my stomach seemed to take all of my focus and energy with it.

I ate everything, from the cookies mom, had hidden in the back of the pantry to Leland's favorite fruit loops. We almost had world war three but mom managed to talk him down.

No matter how much food I shoveled into my stomach it never felt full. So I wasn't surprised by my grumpy mood when I woke up for school on Monday morning. The sting that seemed to always cling to my skin was still there, sharper and more defined than the day before.

I hadn't moved from the edge of my bed, I hadn't even bothered to make it. Although laziness could be blamed for my lack of interest, that just wasn't the case. I felt weak, tired and most of all hungry.

"Syd, I'm taking Lee to school," my mom shouted from downstairs.

"Okay, Bye!" I shouted back.

I heard the front door close downstairs minutes before mom's car pulled out of the driveway. A throb pulsed through my stomach causing me to clutch at my shirt and hunch over in pain. My jaw clenched as the pressure on my skin increased, from tiny pin-pricks to razor-sharp blades digging in my flesh. I couldn't take a breath much less stand up but I knew I had to. I needed to eat and even if it didn't seem to help at all my mind didn't comprehend anything other than hunger and pain.

The house was quiet as I walked downstairs. On the kitchen island, mom had left a brown paper bag, no doubt my lunch for the day. I opened the bag to a BLT sandwich and didn't even think twice before scarfing it down. I knew I would have to suffer through cafeteria food but I couldn't help it. Next, I dug into the cinnamon buns that mom always had around and grabbed the milk carton from the fridge.

As I was guzzling the milk down my eyes caught the clock on the wall, it was already past seven and I was going to be late for school. I shoved the milk carton back into the fridge before shutting the door causing the contents inside to jingle. With my bag slung over my shoulder I rushed out the door. The trees stretched out behind my house and I felt a shiver run down my spine. Fear licked at my skin, raising goosebumps all along my arms. For seem reason, my once safe haven scared the crap out of me making me decide to walk through town.

By the time I reached Brookfield High, I was breathless and dizzy. I swayed on my feet before taking huge gulps of air into my lungs. The walk to school has never before made me this tired yet, I can't seem to concentrate on anything but the hollow feeling in my stomach and the weakness in my limbs.

The double doors were swung open, an electric squeal punctured my ears just before Mia rushed down the steps and crashed into me. Her scrawny arms flung across my neck pulling me in for a quick hug. She was bouncing around on the balls of her feet as if this was the best moment of her life.

As she pulled back I saw her freckled face break into a wide grin. Her green eyes sparkled with excitement that left my head swirling. Usually, Mia's energetic personality could pull me out of any funk but my head swirled nauseously and I had to bite back a grimace.