Chapter 28 - Zombie in the closet

My lids cracked open and blinding white light streamed in

My lids cracked open and blinding white light streamed in. I shut my eyes again. The smell of bleach and chemicals assaulted my nostrils, burning all the way down my throat.

I must be in the hospital.

Memories came back in short clips. The broken glass.The battered truck laying on its roof. Noah and Peter. My eyes shot wide open and the blazing white light burned. I clenched my teeth, waiting for my eyes to adjust. Slowly my vision started to creep back in. My fingers grazed the cool stone I was lying on and with a shock, I realized I was most certainly not in the hospital.

The first thing I saw was the metal bars. I was locked in a cage that wasn't even big enough for me to stand in.  Noah and Peter were in the cage next to mine, their bodies slumped against the bars. The steady rise and fall of their chests told me they were still alive. Peter's lip was split open and Noah had a large cut on his forehead just above his eye. Other than that they seemed fine.

I let out a relieved sigh and surveyed my surroundings. We were being held in a small room which had no windows and only one solid door. My heart started pumping wildly and a slow rhythm was painfully pounding in my head. We needed to get out of here and fast. 

The handle on the door turned before I could further contemplate my situation, revealing a pair of black shoes before Miranda walked in closing the door behind her.  She had a white lab coat on with a black pencil skirt sticking out from underneath. Her hair was pulled back into a tight bun and for a moment she looked almost normal. 

Walking over to the lone table she set down a clipboard and her gaze landed on me. Her face remained cool and distant as she walked over to me. She moved with grace and precision like she has done this a thousand times over.

I swallowed the lump in my throat as my tongue stuck to the roof of my mouth.

Taking out a small recording device she pressed a button and spoke, "Subject X is cognitive after a lethal dose of sedatives. Progress is remarkable, we can move forward to the next stage. Any bruises and injuries suffered during the accident have healed."  

She spoke as if I wasn't even there like I was some sort of animal for her to do tests on. My anger started to simmer low and steady until it started to boil over the brim. Her words drilled into my brain as I tried to make sense of everything.

Miranda turned to look at me as I held on to the bars of my cage with a white-knuckled grip. 

She sighed, "Subject seems to be showing signs of aggression, although contained."

"Contained my ass," I said gritting my teeth.

Miranda pressed the button on her recorder stopping it and walked closer to my cage.

"What do you want from me?"

I looked over to see Noah and Peter still passed out, I needed to think of a way to get us out of here. I kept my mouth shut refusing to speak to this woman. She had single-handedly destroyed my life. Rage boiled in my stomach until it felt like it was liquefying my veins.