Chapter 11 - From The Shadows

The woman with blonde hair and cold blue eyes drummed her fingers against the mahogany desk

The woman with blonde hair and cold blue eyes drummed her fingers against the mahogany desk. Her face was obscured in darkness but Simon knew the planes of her face well. As she continued to drum her slender fingers, Simon's heart rate followed the rhythm.

Years ago her eyes held such wonder and curiosity, but now the only thing that was left was the flat cold calculation.

Simon felt a drop of sweat drip down his back. He knew better than anyone how cold those eyes truly were. The scar that started from his left eyebrow and ran all the way down his cheek was more than enough proof. And now more than ever he dreaded giving her the news. Not because of the repercussions, but the disappointment he would see the flash in her eyes.

"Did you retrieve the girl's body?" her voice like ice cut through the blanket of darkness.

Simon swallowed hard once before answering, "No, it seems the body has been dug up."

He held his breath as the silence stretched on. Ever so slow, the woman started turning her chair around to face him.

"Dug up? Please be so kind as to explain."

Simon's back went rigid as he planed his next words with utter caution.

"Yes, it seems as if the grave had been dug open and her body removed."

Simon couldn't help being pulled back to the memory of that night. How the girl's eyes begged and pleaded, how the woman with the cold blue eyes had sealed her fate. He remembered coming across her that night after the attack, no part of her body was left untouched he couldn't help but feel guilty.  

Her face was unrecognizable as human but he would forever be haunted by those terrifying eyes. His sleep was plagued with them, staring into his soul. it was a constant reminder of what he had done. 

That night, he had lost all hope for this cold woman he once loved.   

"Simon you have failed me again. You couldn't find Dr. Benette before she killed again, which lead to too much attention on us. Now I'm stuck with trying to find a way to solve all of these problems, which you should have prevented."

Her voice was even but Simon could feel the rage simmering beneath the surface.

"We managed to find Dr. Benette, she has been killed."

She rose from her chair, the black of her dress fitting to her body like a second skin. Graceful as a cat she moved around the table and stopped in front of Simon. Her eyes were unreadable and he felt himself shiver at her nearness. 

"Let's see if I understand all this correctly. Weeks ago Dr. Benette escaped, which you should have prevented. She killed a girl and you were supposed to make that dissipate, now her body that was buried in a shallow grave is missing? On top of that, one man is dead and now we have the police snooping around. Tell me, Simon, am I missing anything?"