Chapter 21 - Eighteen till I die

15 January '05

15 January '05

Working alongside Dr. Miranda Freeman is a dream come true. Her vision of a disease-free world has inspired me so much. This week, we administered the bio-serum-X25Z and I am really optimistic. It has shown remarkable progress in the testing stages but I still worry about its side effects on the test subjects. They have shown increased aggression and cannibalistic tendencies, with almost no recognition to their own species. Aside from that their physical attributes have also changed, subjects that had brown fur and brown eyes have now turned albino with red eyes. The most disturbing of all was the strength they now had, they are able to break the glass in their cages, which forced me to move them to reinforced cages. The effect itself is rather amazing and I can feel we're close to a breakthrough.

After reading the first entry, I shut the diary and placed it in my bedside drawer. The wind howled and tree branches scratched against the roof of our house but the slither of cold that traveled down my spine was because of the words I read. The words alone were eerie enough to read but knowing that this was how it all started making it even worse.

I kept thinking back to Peter and Emilia. Mostly her role in Biotech, if she created this then why would Biotech kill her? I know I was the one who dealt the final blow but what happened to her before that?

My eyes drifted back the drawer and I knew, I wanted to read the rest of it, I might not know what it meant now but it's better that I knew anyway. Now was not the time to read because once I start, I wouldn't stop.

I turned on my side and snuggled into my pillow, pulling the comforter close to my skin, the warmth and familiarity of my bed quickly lulls my tired eyes to sleep.

I breathed in the scent of the detergent mom used as it clung to my freshly washed pillows

I breathed in the scent of the detergent mom used as it clung to my freshly washed pillows. In this state between sleep and awake, I felt most at ease. The absence of light proved that today was going to be cloudy, I hated my birthday and I hated winter even more. Cold, wet snow made the sidewalk a deathtrap and walking to school was ten times worse than in summer.

I can hear mom downstairs making breakfast and I internally prayed that she's making grilled cheese. This has been something mom always did on our birthdays, she would wake up early attempt to make breakfast and if that failed we could get a present. Lee always said mom did that on purpose so we would forget about the burnt food.