The Midnight Wake-up

I wake with a start, looking at my dark room. I pull out my phone and check the time. 12:15.

I need sleep.

Summer Break is actually a week away, and im pretty excited.

No more homework, no more Shelby, no more teachers, no more SHELBY......

I turn to look at Niall, who is fast asleep.

He's so cute when he's sleeping.

What am I saying? He's just a friend. I think... I'm confused.

I lay down and look at him, then out my window.

My heart skips a beat.

My house is two story, I look out my window to see a man in a black hoodie standing there, looking up straight at my window. I can't see his face, but I see a small handgun clutched in his hand.

I think he knows I saw him because he starts walking toward my front door slowly, almost ceremoniously, as I grab my phone and call 911.

"911 operator, what is your emergency?"

I speak as softly as I can.

"I woke up and looked out my window and there was a man in a hoodie standing there, I couldn't see his face, but he has a gun and he's walking to my door really slowly, I think he knows saw him. Please hurry."

"I will send someone now. Address?"

I give her my address.

"Stay on the line with me, ok ma'am?

"Ok-- oh my gosh someone is knocking on the front door!" I say in an urgent whisper.

Niall wakes up.

"What's going on?" He asks, checking the time on his phone.

His facial expression changes to slight horror as he hears the knocking.

"Ma'am, I need you to hide, in a closet or under your bed. Do you understand?"

"Yes" I say, gesturing Niall to meet me in the closet.

A minute or so passes and I hear sirens outside.

The operator tells me they have the man, and they are taking him into custody, and that it is safe to come out.

I go downstairs, with Niall following behind me, confused.

"Thank you so much," I say, hanging up the phone and explaining everything to Niall.