A New Start

There was a veil of tension in the air that was almost tangible, but Patton had just tried his best to stare out the window watching all the buildings pass them by. He had been buzzing with excitement just that morning, but his mother always had the uncanny ability to make him feel like he did something wrong sometimes. She hadn't spoken after asking for the address, slamming the car door and muttering an apology under her breath before they drove away. The old pickup she refused to get rid of still held strong as he peered in the rearview mirror, watching the tarp held down in the back shake and billow as they drove along. He glanced over when he heard the sound of the blinker once more, catching the name of the street they were turning on. He perked up, suddenly feeling his heart race with the same excitement he felt that morning.

The truck turned slowly and Patton's eyes raced along the buildings, looking for the one that would label his new home.

"We're almost there, sweetie."

"Yeah." He muttered, hardly paying any attention as he focused on the outside world.

"Are you sure this is such a good idea?" His mother spoke again, finally breaking the silence she held since they entered the truck. "Moving in with someone you only just started dating?"

Patton turned and smiled brightly at his mother. "Come on, mom. We went on two dates, we aren't exactly dating yet. Besides, Logan and I were living together first." His mother's expression didn't change and he laughed a bit to himself. "We will be in separate rooms. Roman and Virgil are both still living with us. It's just like before!"

"What if something goes wrong again? What if there's another fire?" Her grip on the steering wheel tightened. "What about this place? You haven't seen it in person yet!"

"I've been on video chats with the others when Logan went to sign the lease and he is very thorough." Patton glanced back out the window and shifted uncomfortably in his seat. "Besides, that's not what this is about and you know it."

He didn't have to see his mother know the face she was making. The guilty look filled with shame as she tried convincing herself she was thinking purely of good intentions. "Patton, sweetie. I love you so much and you know I'm only worried because I care about you."

"I'll be fine. I'm not exactly a kid anymore. They know me."

"Do they?" He turned to his mother once more and she seemed guilty, almost as if she hadn't expected to say it out loud. "I mean, do they know? About... the thing?"

Patton sighed and leaned back into the car seat, trying to hide away from this conversation like he had all week. "Whether or not they know doesn't mean they don't know me."

"Should you really be dating that Logan boy then? Isn't it lying to him?"

"I'm not dating Logan yet! He'll know if he needs to know, okay?" Patton huffed a bit and turned away from his mother in a defiant, childish attempt to end the conversation. He heard her chuckle as it grew into a full laugh before turning back to her, trying to hide his own smile. "What's so funny?"

"Not dating yet? Oh honey, you really do care for this boy, don't you?" Patton bit his lip as he broke out into a blush, grateful his mother's attention was on the road. "I hear you on the phone with him practically all night, are you sure you're not official yet?"

Patton tried hiding in his baggy sweater he wore for moving day but knew it was no use. "We've been busy. We were gonna talk about it after we got settled again."

"Well, promise me one thing." She reached over and gave her son's leg a pat without taking her eyes off the road. "You sweep him off his feet and bring him home for dinner whenever you're both ready. Dad and I would love to meet him."