Jinxed

Roman was very well aware why his body refused to let him sleep properly that night. His phone was tucked away and he had tossed and turned in his sheets for hours before resigning to his fate. It was the excitement or the anticipation he felt buzzing just beneath the surface. He watched the walls of his room start to grow brighter as the early morning birds had already begun their song.

Today was the last day he had before he started his new job tomorrow and saying he was nervous might be an understatement. What if he screwed up again? What if it didn't last or he couldn't do the job? Sighing deeply through his nose, Roman closed his eyes and tried to burrow his head farther into his pile of pillows, hugging another close to his chest.

Ultimately, Roman gave in. He pulled out his phone and prayed something had changed in the short few hours he had last checked to no avail. The dim screen stared back with the same lack of notifications as most of the world finally gave in to their own slumber. He pulled up something to watch to kill time before his head finally, and far too late, tilted back and he nodded off.

It wasn't much later that he blinked, catching himself and waking up so suddenly he heard his own soft snoring noises. He groaned and pulled his pillow closer, burying his face as he moaned. Roman did not want to get up after the little sleep he managed to get, but sleeping further would mean he wouldn't sleep tonight at all.

He sat up and swung his feet over the edge of his bed before he lost his nerve, knowing he would simply lay there for hours unmoving, drifting in and out of consciousness. Opening the bedroom door, he invited the sounds of life bustling in their apartment into his room and smiled at the sound of Logan and Virgil bickering with one another.

"It is perfectly safe, Virgil. I don't see why you're being so irrational about this."

"Me? You're jumping like five steps ahead! You have to make sure you take it one thing at a time so it's perfect!"

"You speak as if I have never cooked before."

"You're a baker, Logan. Cooking is completely different."

Roman entered the kitchen and stopped in the doorway. Virgil stood over the stove as he cooked and Logan stood to the side, mixing something in a bowl.

Logan huffed as he glared at the bowl. "Just because I am a baker doesn't mean I am completely incompetent when it comes to cooking."

"I know, but I've also have had your cooking before, Lo." Roman watched as Virgil's nose wrinkled at the thought and poked at the bacon he was frying up. " You put too much focus on nutrition and not enough on taste. Besides, you came to me for the help, remember? Let's just finish this before Ro wakes up."

"Too late." Roman looked around and headed for the coffee pot where it sat ready and waiting. "Good morning you two."

"I take it you did not sleep adequately?" Logan commented as he looked up from the bowl. "You still look as if you need more rest."

Roman hummed and brought the mug to his lips, smiling as he enjoyed the aroma and the warm feeling of the ceramic in his hands. "A bit anxious about tomorrow, I will admit, but just as excited!" He took a careful sip of the hot liquid and cringed as he didn't bother to add anything to it. Coughing, Roman put the mug down as he grimaced. In his sleepy state, he hadn't even bothered to add anything to the drink like he normally would. He headed for the fridge as the other two continued to cook. "So, late breakfast just for us? Is Patton still here?"

"No, he had work and left early this morning." Virgil placed a few strips onto a plate, keeping his eyes on the pan. "Two and Three are here, though."