Meetings

Virgil paced around his room and checked his pockets to make sure he wasn't forgetting anything. He reached over and picked up a plain black backpack off of the floor and slung it over his shoulder. With one last check, he turned and opened his bedroom door before freezing.

"Virgil!" Patton stopped and smiled, though it seemed a bit forced. "Oh, are you headed out somewhere?"

Virgil nodded and closed his bedroom door behind him. "I have work. You okay, Pat? Need to talk?"

"Oh, no! Don't want to hold you up! Can't be late for work!" Patton still seemed a bit tense as he backed away. "It wasn't important, don't worry!"

Virgil took a step forward and reached out, grabbing Patton's arm lightly as he tried to retreat further. "Pat, what's bothering you?" Patton never dropped his smile as he shook his head. "You're my best friend, I have all the time in the world for you, okay?" Patton's smile finally started to fall as Virgil spoke softly. "I can get to work on time just fine, tell me what's wrong?"

"It really isn't a big deal." Patton shrugged. Virgil let go of his arm and motioned toward the couch. With a nod, they headed over and Patton fell into the cushions as he let out a sigh. "I wanted to go meet up with Logan's aunt that runs that bakery. She invited me today and I was super excited but I just kind of got nervous. What if she doesn't like me or what if I upset her? What if it doesn't go well?"

"Patton." Virgil held up a hand and cut the other off. "I'm an expert at playing the 'what if' game, but I have complete faith that you'll be fine. Everyone loves you, you're such a nice person and if she doesn't then you'll just have to show her." Patton bit his lip but nodded, shoulders still tense. "Want me to go with you?"

Patton shot his head up and waved his hands around. "No, no! You have work!"

Virgil raised a brow and smiled over at his best friend. "Look, I don't have to miss work. I may not be as good as you are at being in multiple places at once but that doesn't mean I can't do it at all." Virgil stood up from the couch and gripped onto one of the straps to his backpack. "Wait a few minutes for me to text you then tell me exactly where you're standing in the apartment, okay?" Virgil gave a small salute before heading to the front door. "Just trust me on this."

The door clicked closed and Patton remained confused as he sat on the couch. He dug out his phone from his pocket and began to fidget with it as he stared at the front door. Around maybe ten minutes later, he jumped as his phone went off, pulling him from his thoughts.

Tapping away to unlock it, a text from Virgil with a single black heart emoji staring back at him. Patton stood up and began pacing before he stopped in the middle of the living room.

"I... am... standing... in the... living room..." Patton spoke as he typed. He sent the text before looking up from his phone. "He said to describe, is that enough?" Patton typed away once more to describe what he was seeing, sending a single sentence at a time. A hand shot out and covered his phone as Patton let out a squeak of surprise. He glanced up and saw Virgil standing there, hair a bigger mess than minutes before and looking more worn out. "V-virge!"

"That was more than enough, Pat." Virgil let go of the phone and headed for his room, his backpack stuffed more than when he had left. "Let me drop this off and we can go."

Patton smiled and sent Virgil a quick apology along with a heart before putting his phone away. "How was work? That's where you just came from, right? You just traveled back to this time, am I right?"

Virgil put the backpack down onto his bed and walked out. "Yeah, work was fine. It's been tough since the move."

"Aww, well we're all settled in here so hopefully it'll get better soon!" Virgil smiled and shook his head. "Are you sure you're up to going? You look tired."