Languages

The sky was blanketed gray on an overcast afternoon in the city. Virgil stopped in the middle of the sidewalk and perked up when he saw the man in front of him standing, almost as if waiting for him. With a smile, he raised his arm and waved at the other who stared back and started to smile. "Thomas!" Virgil walked closer, noticing the busy street seemed a bit less busy for this time of day. "Surprised to see you on this side of town. You visiting Logan again?"

"You could say that." Virgil blinked and furrowed his brow before looking around. It was silent. Completely still as no one, not even the sound of traffic buzzed nearby. The street was empty and the clouds overhead must have blocked out the sun as they grew darker. "It's good to see you again, Virgil."

Turning back, Virgil jumped as Thomas reached out and grabbed his arm. "Hey! What's wrong with you, man? Let go!"

"Oh, now why would I do that?" Thomas' hand gripped tighter and Virgil winced at the sudden pain. "After spending all this time looking for you, Virgil, why would I let you go now?"

Virgil tugged at the vice grip but didn't see a way out. "The hell are you talking about?"

Virgil froze as the sudden quiet was broken by white noise. He looked at Thomas as the man smiled a bit too wide, the pricking noise of static growing in intensity. He chuckled as little wisps of blackened smoke escaped his mouth and Virgil jumped back, grabbing the man's arm and tugging on it desperately. The more he tried pushing him away, the louder Thomas seemed to laugh. The smoke only grew and surrounded both of them and Virgil shut his eyes in his panic, willing himself to break free. Of the grip, of time, whatever it took to get away. The sound of static grew louder and louder and louder...

With a gasp, he shot up and gripped his chest, his heart pounding so loud he almost didn't notice the sound of static in the room. He felt sweaty and gross but cold at the same time as a shiver made the hair on his arms stand on end. He looked around frantic and saw the television staring back at him, the white noise coming from the speakers. Virgil surveyed the room and found himself on the couch, Roman passed out just next to him and groaning as he moved his arms in his sleep as if searching for something. Virgil looked around and grabbed a pillow, placing it where he was as he stood up. Roman groaned and pulled it close, burying his face in it and sighing as he drifted off back to sleep.

They were watching a movie. Roman was nervous about starting his new job so they sat down to watch a movie after dinner and must have fallen asleep on the couch. It must have ended and the tv started making the noise that caused Virgil's nightmare.

He slowly backed out of the room and into his own, pacing back and forth with the rush of adrenaline that had shot through him. Once his mind calmed enough to start to think properly, he slowed down and took a deep breath. He shouldn't be alone right now but he knew climbing back on the couch would wake up Roman. Logan was eager to get to his room after dinner, talking about figuring something out before he went to sleep, and he wasn't eager to wake up Patton just to have someone to talk to.

He snuck back out into the living room and froze seeing a figure standing, facing the tv. They held up the remote and shut it off before looking at him and smiling. "Hey." He whispered, placing the remote down slowly. "You okay?"

"Why are you up, Pat?" Virgil slowly walked over and Patton nudged his head to his room. Virgil nodded and followed as Patton led them away from the sleeping Roman on the couch. Virgil slowly clicked the bedroom door shut and watched as Patton let out a big sigh. "You okay?"

"Just a nightmare." He rubbed his arms as if he were cold before sitting on his bed, staring out his big window. "The noise from the tv didn't help."