The Truth Will Set You Free

Warnings: Cursing and yelling near the end

--------------

With the morning sun brought a new brightness to the apartment. The light seemed to shine through the heaviness across the residence from the night before that still lingered about. Virgil got up with a groan, walking like he was still halfway in his bed as he trudged across the apartment and straight for the coffee pot. Roman made a concerned comment before shrugging it off, Virgil reassuring him while mumbling into the mug that he 'needed the coffee to function today'. Roman sighed and acquiesced. The banter was typical of them so early in the morning, something Patton appreciated after his restless night. Virgil sat in a chair grinning while Roman kept up the conversation with Patton, knowing Virgil would be a dead end. Besides a few witty quips, Virgil kept silent, watching the two fall into their normal pattern, but the empty spot where Logan usually occupied remained empty. Eventually, Virgil woke up enough to form complete sentences and waved the others off as he made his way to work. Roman perked up and headed out himself, not wanting to be late for his new, albeit still dreadfully boring desk job. Patton smiled and waved them off before looking at the breakfast leftovers and feeling the full brunt of the silence in the apartment.

After mentally yelling at himself to just suck it up and talk to Logan, Patton found himself outside the only bedroom door that hadn't opened that morning. Normally Logan would have been up and dressed by now. He would have visited the bathroom to adjust his appearance properly for the day, then made his way to breakfast, but it was well past that time and Patton had yet to hear any noise coming from the room beyond the closed door. He still hesitated before he knocked, the first few too soft before he got the nerve to properly knock loud enough. Patton shuffled on his feet, nervously berating himself over his knocking skills, telling himself that Logan wouldn't even think that was a person actually knocking. It was so strange; who knocks like that? Of course, Logan wouldn't answer to that! It wasn't enough. Patton should knock again. Or would knocking so quickly afterward only annoy his boyfriend further?

The door opened and Patton jumped, making a high pitched noise in shock as he did.

"Patton?"

"The knock!" Patton's face grew even redder in embarrassment.

Logan raised a confused brow. Patton couldn't help but notice he had already gotten dressed, but his hair was still a bit of a mess. Since Logan hadn't left his room that morning, he probably hadn't styled it yet and Logan always had suffered from severe bedhead. "The knock?"

"I knocked... weird. Sorry."

"I do not understand why you choose to apologize for that, but I shall forgive you if it makes you feel better." Logan shuffled on his feet and glanced away awkwardly.

Patton nodded and cleared his throat. "I uh, I just wanted to, um..." He attempted to smile as he pointed behind him to the kitchen. "I made breakfast? If you're hungry, that is! You always say how eating is important and how you shouldn't skip any meals."

Logan nodded, putting his hand on his door. "Is that all?"

"No!" Patton reached out before putting his hands to his chest. The rapid beating of his heart was so loud he wondered if it might be dangerous to his health. "I wanted to apologize. I pushed you to talk after upsetting you and that wasn't right. I'm sure you had a reason for getting upset! Sorry."

Logan sighed and his hand slid off the door and to his side. "No, Patton, you don't need to apologize. I was upset and took it out on you." He lifted his glasses and rubbed his eyes. "You were entirely correct, it is Thomas' decision whether he chooses to train his abilities. I just wish I could have talked to him before he made such a rash choice, but I would never force him..." Logan seemed to wince more and dropped his hand, keeping his eyes closed. "I apologize for my abhorrent behavior yesterday. I do hope you could forgive me."