#10; Nikolai Gogol [BSD]

[Prompt: He never came back. Even though he said he would.]

Sitting curled up in a chair with a cup of tea usually helped to calm you down and help you relax. Today thought, you were restless, mad with worry.

"Want another?" asked a soft, cheery voice from behind you.

"No, thank you, Ivan," you sighed as you put the empty cup on the table and hugged yourself. You thought that maybe someone who couldn't feel unhappiness would be a good company to take your mind off things but so far it did nothing but annoy you.

How could he still be so carefree when his fellow member was somewhere out there, risking his life?

It's been two weeks since you last spoke with your precious clown and you missed him. You always worried about him when he was gone but this time it was different. This time you suddenly started feeling a dark pit in the bottom of your stomach that just wouldn't go away.

"You look troubled, is something the matter?" your friend asked as he laid a hand on your shoulder, squatting down next to you.

"He never came back. Even though he said he would," you whispered shakily, leaning into his comforting touch.

"Niki?" Ivan asked surprised. "We worked it out," you nodded with a gentle smile. Ivan squealed excitedly and pulled you into a hug. "I'm so happy for you! Don't worry, he's fine. He wouldn't miss out on his second chance, would he?" You laughed at his happy antics. Yet something still felt wrong.

And you never wished Ivan would be right more than the next day when the news came.