Chapter 24

Tae's POV

I anxiously waited for Tee to come back inside the room.  What was taking him so long. I thought he was just going to see them out the door.

After some time, he finally came back.  He seemed less caring than when Bas and the others had not yet arrived.  Or was I just imagining it.  He was still smiling at me when he came back in but there was something different about him that I  could not pinpoint.  I was expecting him to continue where he had left off but he did not.  Why had I even thought about breaking the kiss he had been giving me earlier when I was savoring every moment of it.

I was no longer interested in asking whether what he felt for me was just sympathy.  I was willing to settle for him kissing and hugging me out of sympathy if that was all he could feel for me.

"So, you're gonna be out of here in two days time!" he said smiling too brightly.

"Yes," I said, "I can't wait to be up and running again."

Tee's POV

I was sorely tempted to go against Copter's advice.  If ever I did, that would be the second time.  The first time was when he advised me not to come to see P'Tae which obviously I did not listen to because I am here right now, just holding myself back from confessing my feelings to him.

In the end I believed that it was wise to follow Copter's advice.  He was an outsider so I could depend on him for an objective opinion on my situation.

I re-entered the room, pasting on a fake bright smile and schooling myself to feel indifferent to his handsome face, the beautiful eyes, the kissable lips.  Reel yourself in, Tee!

"So, you're gonna be out of here in two days time!"  I said, settling on a neutral topic.

"Yes," he said, "I can't wait to be up and running again."

And to be back with Nancy of course, I said silently to myself, a slight bitterness creeping into my system.

"Bas will probably contact me as soon as the cast on my left shoulder is out," he said to keep our conversation going.

"Is there someone who can bring you here for when it's time for your cast to be removed?" I asked trying to sound nonchalant.  Please don't say it will be Nancy, I pleaded silently.

"I was hoping you would offer," his voice sounded anxious, half expecting me to say no.

I debated carefully on the wisdom of continuing with our proximity and risking getting hurt all over again.

"When did you say you had to come back to have your cast removed?" I hedged.

"A week after I'm released," he replied.

"I will let you know a day before," I said.  That would give me enough time to decide whether to keep my sanity and listen to my head or to throw caution to the wind and listen to my heart.

"That sounds fair," he said.  I detected a slight sadness in his voice or my love stricken self could have just imagined it.