Chapter 18: What Can You Do

I shrieked under his hand, all of my senses slamming into overdrive once I realized I had been captured.

"Don't say a word or I will kill you," He mumbled, caressing the skin by my jaw, "I just need to see if what I saw in Ryan's head was true."

And before I knew it, the tables had turned and he had whisked his way in front of me, facing me with our faces only inches apart.

"I saw you in his head, you know...," He whispered, finally lowering his fingers to my collarbone, "I watched him kiss you and I saw how strong he became afterwards."

I swallowed down a knot, finally looking him dead in the eyes before the panic finally set in. This guy wasn't here to save me, he was here to hurt me.

"Wh-what are you saying?" I stuttered, pulling the hair from my eyes away. I could barely make out the figure through the dark as he held me tight against the tree and I felt my legs grow weak beneath me.

"He only had to touch you just to get a taste of what you could do for us," He explained, looking over his shoulder carefully, "And you allowed it. You allowed him to take your power...how? How come when I touch you, I don't feel it?"

I racked my brain for any answers, anything I could possibly say that would get him to understand I was just as confused as he was.

"We never kissed," I breathed out heavily, reaching my hands up to press hard against his chest.

"I saw him kiss you, you were at a bar or some club," He hissed, reciting Ryan's thoughts, "So I thought that maybe if I kissed you..."

"No!" I pushed, only for him to hike me farther up the tree. I closed my eyes, noting this was the only way I could mask out the scene.

"Just tell me," He growled, "Tell me what it is I have to do in order to feel the charge, I know you know! I'm sick of fucking waiting around for you chargers to do so willingly - you're lucky we've been so patient."

I felt my back dig into the bark of the tree, the pain sending fireworks throughout my body as I realized I didn't have another second to spare.

"Stop," I pleaded, feeling his face grow near. Immediately I realized who this was, it had to have been Robbie. I heard a slow rumble circulate through my veins from his throat, I could tell he had no mercy left.

"Jesse thinks he's so damn tough," Robbie chuckled, taking more time the necessary, "Always taking the high road even when it comes to putting us in danger for a chick. If all you bitches would stop lowering your fucking panties for him, maybe he'd put us first for once."

I pierced my fingernails into his arms hard hoping this might deter him from making his move. He groaned, taking in the pain like it was nothing.

"Oh baby," He cooed, "You think that's enough pain to scare me away? You have no idea what I'm capable of."

I screamed, fully knowing that doing so would possibly make Robbie loose control - and that he did. Suddenly I was in his chest, the smell of burning acid and cigarette smoke circling my nose. He leaned into me, attempting to kiss me like he'd wanted and I began to squirm.

Before I had the chance to scream again, he flew backwards, landing in the arms of someone else who was much bigger. I watched Robbie's head turned to the side, his attackers' arms bending it so far as he began to break it and then I watched it snap off with one fluid motion.

"Holy shit," I screamed, backing away from them as I felt my feet intertwine with each other. I fell back, steadying myself as the figure came over.

"Mandie, it's me," Jesse eased closer, picking me up by my hands, "Sorry you had to see that."

I was stunned, absolutely appalled at the scene I had just witnessed. I just watched someone die, someone I had been in such close contact with ten seconds before. I looked up at him, through painfully stung eyes and attempted to read his expression.