Chapter 2: Rejection at its Best

"W-what are you doing here?" I stuttered, feeling Jessica come to my side.

His eyes grew dark with my mention and instantly his gaze began to drift from my face down to my legs.

"You sure changed over the summer," He spoke, ignoring my question.

I could't believe it! I couldn't believe that Ryan, my childhood crush and old best friend, was here at the college I was. Was this even real? Was I seeing things correctly?

"Yeah," I answered, covering my chest with crossed arms, "A few months can really do that to a girl."

He ran a hand through his hair, keeping his view on me before looking to face Jessica.

"Jess," He flicked his head her way, greeting her as she looked away.

Jess hated Ryan, not because of anything he had done (necessarily) but because of what I had told them. Ryan and I had a past, a small past, but a past nonetheless.

We used to be really close friends, closer then me and Jessica even, but with all friendships there comes a time when you have to choose. Unfortunately, Ryan didn't choose me, especially when I needed him the most.

We'd grown up together, awkwardly bonding over silly things like our love of sidewalk chalk and how many times we'd flip over our pillow at night just to get to the cold side. We would hang out every night and I mean every night, considering we were neighbors and our backyards intersected just enough for us to come over whenever we so pleased.

One day though, my parents over-bearing attitudes came to an all time high and they grounded me with no end until my grades raised back up to all A's. I'd had enough, I was so sick of my parents not just being proud of me anymore, only focusing on the negative and never looking to the positives.

I ran over to Ryan's house, knocking on the door all for his parents to tell me he was on a date.

A date.

I couldn't even believe it. Not only had he not told me, but he didn't even care to come make sure I was OK even after he had gotten home. It wasn't his job, sure, but I would have done it for him. No matter what the problem, I would have come back over to make sure he was alright.

I tried not to care too much, but this occurrence became a regular thing and I was starting to get jealous. He started ditching me for other girls, video games, playing sports with his friends and I became a thing of the past. Not only was I left heartbroken, but I was left rejected. The one guy I had grown close to and formed feelings for, left me in the dust because I wasn't good enough.

Still to this day I don't know what happened for him to just ditch me for no reason and I never even got the chance to ask, because right before high school he moved away. We ignored each other in the halls when we finally started our first day at high school and that's when I knew, things would never be the same.

"I didn't know you were going here," I finally spoke, observing how toned he had become. His skin was tan and his facial features had changed so much, he even had a shadow of facial hair.

He shot me a crooked grin, his facade growing sly as he took me in, "I didn't know you were either."

I could tell he wanted to say more, his stance said it all. He seemed surprised and in shock, but he kept it hidden under his now masculine demeanor.

"Well, it was good seeing you," He mentioned, his eyes looking over my shoulder as I turned around to see.

It was a girl, a gorgeous girl at that and she was all skin and bones. Did he like that now? I mean, I wasn't skinny, but I wasn't fat. I had curves and I felt like I accented them well. Did he not like curves anymore?