five

The prisoners cheered as the guards dragged the man on to the stage. Evelyn sat beside the warden and Tiye sat on her other side. The two women had left the older Carnahan sibling behind.

"I will give you £100 to save this man's life." Evelyn began to bargain as Tiye sat forward in her seat, watching the hanging intently.

"Madame, I would pay £100 just to see him hang." The warden argued back.

"Two. £200."

"Proceed."

"£300!" The guards tightened the noose around his neck.

"£500!"

"And what else? I'm a very lonely man." The warden placed his hand on Evelyn's thigh causing her to slap it off with her book. Tiye sent the warden a glare, telling him not to even think about going near her. The prisoners laughed as they saw the warden get rejected causing him to tell the guards to hang the man.

"No!" Evelyn and Tiye screamed, jumping out their seats. The man fell through the gap in the floor but the force did not break his neck.

"His neck did not break!" The warden laughed, watching as the man struggled. "Oh, I'm so sorry. Now we must watch him strangle to death."

"Evy, hurry." Tiye whispered to Eveyln as the two sat back in their seats.

"He knows the location to Hamunaptra." Evelyn revealed.

"You lie."

"I would never!" Evelyn gasped, looking shocked and angry at the warden.

"Are you telling me this filthy, godless son of a pig knows where to find the City of the Dead?" The warden asked, gesturing to the hanging man.

"Yes."

"Truly?"

"Yes! And if you cut him down, we will give you-" Evelyn tried to bargain again.

"Ten percent." Tiye inputted.

"Fifty percent."

"Twenty."

"Forty."

"Thirty."

"Twenty-five."

"Ah! Deal." Evelyn cheered as she realised he went below.

"Cut him down." The warden groaned as he sent commands to the guards. A guard sliced the rope and the man crumbled to the ground gasping for air. Evelyn stood up and smiled at him happily as he stared back at her gratefully. Tiye watched this small exchange and sat back in her seat, grinning to herself.

•~•

A ship horn blared through the busy port as Evelyn, Jonathan and Tiye wandered towards their ship, looking for the man they had saved.

"Do you really think he's gonna show up?" Evelyn asked, adjusting her grip on her luggage.

"Yes, undoubtedly, knowing my luck." Jonathan complained, his arm linked with Tiye's. "He may be a cowboy, but I know the breed. His word is his word."

"Well, personally, I think he's filthy, rude, and a complete scoundrel." Evelyn stated. "I don't like him one bit."

"I agree." Tiye inputted, swinging her bag around.

"Anyone I know?" Rick O'Connell asked, approaching the three from behind. They jumped around in fright and let their eyes scan over his fresh look, trimmed hair, shaved and not in ragged clothing.

"Oh." Evelyn stared at the man wide eyed, blushing at his handsome state. "Um, hello."

"Smashing day for the start of an adventure, eh, O'Connell?" Jonathan unlinked his arm with Tiye and slapped his hand on Ricks chest, the two men shaking hands.

"Yeah. Yeah, smashing." Rick began to take his wallet out his pocket.

"Oh, no, no, I'd never steal from a partner, partner." Jonathan slapped Ricks arm cheerfully.

"That reminds me. No hard feelings about the, uh..." Rick playfully swung his fist at Jonathan's face, making sure he missed it.

"Oh, no, no, it happens all the time." Jonathan waved it off.

"It is actually quite hilarious how true that statement is." Tiye giggled, re-wrapping her arm around Jonathan's.

"Mr. O'Connell, can you look me in the eyes and guarantee me that this isn't all some kind of flimflam?" Evelyn said, looking straight into Rocks eyes, trying to be as serious as she can. "Because if it is, I am warning you-"

"You're warning me?" Rick laughed, cutting Evelyn off. "Lady, let me put it this way: my whole sank garrison believed in this so much that without orders, they marched halfway across Libya into Egypt to find that city. And when we got there, all we found was sand and blood. Let me get your bags."

Rick reached down and grabbed Evelyns two bags and Tiyes one bag before walking up the walkway and into the ship.

"I like him already." Tiye grinned, clapping her hands together as the three of them watched him walk away.

"Yes, yes, you're right. Filthy, rude, complete scoundrel. Nothing to like there at all." Jonathan said to his sister.

"A bright good morning to all." The warden walked up to them.

"Oh, no. What are you doing here?" Evelyn groaned in annoyance.

"I'm here to protect my investment, thank you very much." He walked past the three of them and up the walkway. They all sighed and followed after the man, looking for their cabins.