Prologue

Selena's P.O.V

I looked out the plane's window and attempted to contemplate why my life has completely fallen apart. Thing is, it all happened so fast. They were just leaving the house for their anniversary and next thing I know is I'm sitting in front of their caskets. As we started to land, I looked at my new beginning, Atlanta, Georgia. After I deboard the plane, I see my Aunt Linda banging on a vending machine. I tap her shoulder and she jumps almost hitting me.

"Oh lord, I didn't know it was you! Girl, you can't just be rolling up on me like that!"

"Sorry. What are you doing anyways?"

"I was just trying to get this candy bar out the machine. It acts like it won't come out."

"Let me try auntie." I place my hands under the top lid and pull the vending machine backward. Soon after, the Twix Bar falls to the bottom.

"Damn, Michigan taught you something. I thought it was useless." She puts her candy bar in her pocket and starts to head for the car carrying one of my bags.

"My friend just taught me that's all." I get into her 2018 Mercedes Benz and look at the interior. The car had a nice black and neon purple design, but I don't even know how the hell she bought it because her credit is horrible.

"Auntie, how did you get this car?"

"Don't worry about all that, just know its mine."

She then gets in the car and starts to drive. I'm surprised that she is playing NBA Youngboy on the radio but she's one of the "want to be young" aunts.

"So, have you started thinking about a job?"

I shake my head and sigh. "Auntie, I just turned 17 and I'm not thinking about all that yet."

"You're right, but just know you will be working somewhere. Even if it is a small job."

She parks in the driveway and I see her facial expression change drastically.

"I know this adjustment is going to be hard, but we just have to move forward. If it wasn't for that drunk driver we wouldn't be in this shit."

"Relax, we just have to move forward as you said. Mom and dad would have wanted us to do so... did you cook me something to eat?"

She chuckles and looks at me crazy. "Cook? You know I never did and will not cook."

"What am I supposed to do then?"

"You know what, we'll just order something to eat later. Let's just unpack your stuff. Your new room is down the hall. I hope you like it."

She starts to smile very hard and takes my luggage inside. As I walked in, I gasped. I never knew my aunt could pull something like this off.

 I never knew my aunt could pull something like this off

"So do you like it?"

"I love it!"

"I'm glad you do, I just want you to be happy when you moved in."

"Thank you so much. Can we order some food now?"

"Yea, what do you want?"

"Some Chinese food."

"Ew, you eat where they cook rats at?"

"Oh my God, they don't do that auntie!"

"You don't know what they doing back in that dirty ass kitchen they be having."

"That's every fast food though."

"Mmm. Just go order what you want."

After we ordered our food, we talked and watched Riverdale. It was her first time watching it but the whole time she was saying its just a newer version of 90210. Maybe this new transition wouldn't be so bad after all.

Hey guys! Thanks for reading the Prologue of "The Assistant." The chapters will be longer than this, this is just giving background information. I am also writing in a different style than my other books, but don't be alarmed💀That's just a sign of me learning more in English class😭But anyways, give this story a vote and leave a comment. Bye! -April J.😘