Chapter Thirteen

Celine took her brush out of her pack, deciding to give her hair a good brushing while she waited. As she was brushing her hair, she noticed Brandon's sword lying under the cot. "I could probably get in a little practice while I'm waiting. But first I have to use the chamber pot so I can hopefully go home," she thought as she hurried to finish brushing her hair and then she quickly braided it. When she was finished, she walked behind the screen in the corner of the room where the toilet was placed.

She used the amenity and then stood up and peered into the chamber pot and she could see that she hadn't passed the stone. She sighed. "I guess I'll be going to Conjurer's Swamp with Brandon after all," she thought sadly. "I'll need to send word to my father so that he won't worry about me."

She walked back over to the bed and picked up the sword up from under Brandon's cot and placed it on her bed. Then she pushed the cot up against the wall to make an empty space large enough for her to practice. She picked up the sword and pulled it from the scabbard and it rang as it came free. She held it up admiring the fine engraving on the blade and the delicate scroll work on the hilt. She had never seen a sword so fine. "I wonder where he got this from? It must've cost a fortune!"

She strode into the center of the cleared space and slowly started to go through the drills her father had taught her. As she warmed up, she increased the speed and intensity of her work out as she imagined that she was fighting a formidable opponent. She slashed and parried and danced around the room engaged in a mock battle until the chamber knocked on the door.

Celine put the sword onto the bed and then walked over to the door and let her in. As the chamber maid went quietly about her business cleaning the up the room, Celine replaced the sword in the scabbard and sat on the bed. She watched as the chamber maid carried the chamber pot out to a cart that was stationed in the hall and then returned with afresh one. She disappeared behind the screen and removed the pitcher and wash basin and carried them outside as well. Then she reentered the room and picked up the bucket of melted ice and the dirty cloths from the floor at Celine's bedside.

Finally, she came in carrying a clean wash basin with a pitcher of steaming water perched inside and two fluffy towels tossed over her shoulder. She put them all onto the wash stand and turned to leave the room."Will there be anything else, miss?" she asked as she prepared to leave. Celine politely said no and thanked her and the maid nodded her head and left.

Celine carried her clean clothes over to the wash stand and quickly began to undress. She poured some water onto the soft cloth and lathered it with soap and then she busily began to wash herself as best as she could with only a pitcher of water. "I wish I could take a nice, hot bath!" she thought as she diligently began to wash her feet. Soon she was finished and began to get dressed.

When she was dressed, she walked to the window and peered out into the stable yard below. "I wonder how Robin is faring," she thought, remembering how he had hurriedly left. Just then there was a knock on the door and Brandon asked if he could come in.

"Yes, you may come in," she said as she turned from the window. He entered the room and walked over to where she had placed his sword on the bed.

"Were you playing around with my sword again?" he teased as he buckled on the belt, securing the scabbard while he remembered how she had practiced at the Midway Tavern.

"Just for a few moments," she said as she walked over to him. "I guess Robin will be at the Midway Tavern by now," she remarked as she reached his side.

"At the Midway? No, he's almost to East Port," he said looking at her. "He left two nights ago," he replied. She looked confused. "You slept all day yesterday," he explained softly.