Chapter 16: Kitana's Savior

A half hour after speaking of the Revenants and war strategies for mostly defensive approaches, Kuai led Sareena to her usual room. It was like any other room, a bed in the center with blue sheets, bamboo flooring, light oak closet with a matching vanity. Yet it had some belongings of hers that she brought from the Netherrealm or began to like in Earthrealm. Which were some black clothed sorcery books, white candles, a few tiny knives and of course an old, folded, yellowed piece of paper with a light brown trimming around it and black lettering. Sareena never spoke of it, or what was on it, simply that no one else could read it, and Kuai respected that. Sareena thanked him

-"You are too kind for your own good" She smiled and hugged him, she held him close. They shared a connection, a loss, a friendship.

-"I am not nice" He paused, "I merely learn from my mistakes, and strive to be as wise as I can be" He placed his hand over his chest to implement it was a vow. She giggled and wished him a good night, and with that parted ways to end their days.

Kuai entered his throne room, and noticed the prepared table. He and Sareena would eat at everytime she visited.  He saw the two plates of cold food and realized whom they belonged to, he sighed 'Kitana must be hungry' he thought. He grabbed her food and took it back to the kitchen, he should ask if she wants to eat before he reheats it or throws it out.

Kitana's Room~

Kitana lay in bed on her side, facing away from the door, the darkness and cold settling in, yet she payed no mind to it. All she could think of was two people showing never ending affection towards each other, she should be happy, should she not? Then why did it bother her so much?!

She jumped as she heard laughing, sitting up as she looked around, nothing. Soon she stopped to admire the beautiful blue flowers that sat on her vanity next to her door. She stood and walked up to her vanity mirror, not seeing a shadow pass the flowers, instantly draining them of life, so they remained black, grey and drooping. Soon there stood a man right behind her, he was pale, with darkened red lips as if stained with blood, black lines petruding from his eyes and past his scalp down to his neck and red markings and jewel aligned between those black lines. Quan Chi.

He smiled a wicked smile.

-"My dear, Princess Kitana. Why do you have such thoughts?" He asked mockingly.

-"No! That is impossible, you are dead!!" She shouted. Stumbling back as he walked forward.

-"I am." He replied honestly, no emotion on his face. "But as you continue to live on, so do I." He outstretched his hands to her. She dodged them.

-"You do not deserve any sort of second chance! No redemption! You are not worthy of life!!" She yelled, tears welling up and falling. Kitana's back slammed into the wall, with nowhere else to go. Quan Chi elegantly and with ease walked up to her, leaning into her ear. She felt his breath on her skin, it was cold.

-"And you are any different?"

Kitana's eyes widened at the line, she had not expected that, yes she had her insecurities but for Quan Chi to read them off of her and announce them like that broke her. She sobbed, resting her head against the wall, he was correct. She did not deserve this, she should return to the Netherrealm, away from Earthrealm, the Lin Kuei, from Kuai...

-"Ah Kuai Liang. You believe he is your savior?" He laughed, holding his head up high. "He is nothing, as are you! That is all you are to him, nothing." He spat out, but spoke as soft as he could towards her "But I think different, I know your true potential, I know your true worth." Kitana wept, as his strong glare watched her in her weakened state. All she wanted was for a savior, perhaps she hoped it was Kuai. "Kitana..." Quan Chi began softly yet bitterly, placing a finger under her chin to look at him, his form changed from the necromancer to the Mortal Kombat champion Liu Kang, but instead of his deranged revenant form, she stared at the familiar face that taught her to love. He leaned in close, his lips mere inches from hers, pausing "...Return to me." Staring at him despite the tears, her breath hitched. He leaned in closing his eyes until—