Chapter 19: The Village

-“The village wishes to see you” The man paused “they said it is urgent and require your presence”

Kuai looked at the man seemingly intently ㄧdespite his drunkennessㄧ as he processed what he said.

-“Very well” he said beginning to stand up.

-“Oh no you don’t!” Frost’s voice boomed, startling both Kitana and the student, while Kuai merely paused and looked at her. 

-“Is there a problem, Frost?”

-“Is there a problem? Is there a problem?! You should get a mirror to see the mess that you are!” she was yelling at Kuai, she looked towards the student but spoke a little less aggressively “You.” The assassin practically jumped. “How soon do they want to see him?”

He gulped “They did not specify, only that it was an emergency”

Frost nodded “Hmm alright, report back to them that we will be there by tomorrow morning, and by ten at the latest”

The student bowed and stalked back down the stairs. Frost watched him then turned to face her brother yet again, continuing to glare.

- “And you!” she started harshly “Get down from there and let’s take you to bed, we got stuff to do tomorrow” Frost sighed, her voice now at a level tone as she grabbed Kuai’s arm and helped him down. “You better not drink for a while because I swear if you do…” 

“Thank you, Frost” he interrupted. 

Her mouth was open and she stayed silent until she said “Just don’t do this again. ”

She walked him to his room, told him to change and laid him down in bed. After checking if he was alright she got a glass of water and painkillers, putting them on the nightstand.

-“Goodnight” she whispered.

-“Mmm night…” he mumbled as Frost walked out. 

She slid the door shut and walked down the hallway where Kitana, who had been watching the scene play out, stood. 

-“Is he alright?” she asked as a tinge of worry seemed to lace her voice.

-“He’s gonna be fine. But hey just promise me one thing?” she looked up at the other woman, almost seeming desperate as she calculated her next words.

Kitana arched an eyebrow “Of course.” she said, after all she was sure this promise would not be of much inconvenience.

-“Can you not tell anyone about this? My brother cares about his image and would hate if this came out and ruined his reputation. I mean who can trust a grandmaster who gets drunk? Even if it was just this one time, rumors would spread like a wildfire. It’s crazy what people would do to bring my brother down...especially since he's worked so hard building from the ground up” her face filled with sadness as she let those last words slip off her tongue.

Kitana gave Frost a sympathetic look before locking their eyes and then proceeding to grab both her hands and give them a firm squeeze. Kitana's eyes filled themselves with an unmistakable understanding and gentle look.

“Not a soul.”

~~

As they walked down the halls towards the more vacant hall where their rooms were Kitana spoke once more.

-“So I’ve heard of this village but I have not yet seen it”

Frost looked over “Oh yeah, we try not to communicate with them as often, let alone visit. Especially when the Lin Kuei was being reformed the village heavily opposed.”