Chapter 17: Brother Dearest

Sareena tossed over in bed, furrowing her brows as the sunlight hit her face through the window. She huffed and sat up, rubbing any remaining sleep from her eyes. Turning her back slightly, she placed her hand under her pillow and pulled out a folded, slightly yellowed paper with brown trimming. Upon opening it up it revealed writing in black ink, placing her fingers ever so gently—as if a ghost—over the writing, tracing the words. Reading it with a pained look on her face, and sorrow in her eyes. Putting it down Sareena soon got up and began to dress for her upcoming meeting with Kuai.

Sareena, now fully dressed in her normal attire, glanced back at the mirror noticing the letter on the bed, she grabbed it and placing it in her left thigh high boot, as she refused to go anywhere without it. Heading towards the door; she unlocked it and had a firm hold on the handle. She sneaked another glance at herself in the mirror, giving herself a soft reassuring smile, sliding the door open and walked out.

As she headed towards what was known as the Grandmasters throne room and office she passed many students, she knew that despite their age, ethnicity, gender, family ties, finances, and sexual orientation, everyone in the Lin Kuei was a student of Kuai’s. And he was proud of that, he held himself high, but held his students even higher, and catching them when they fell. That is what made Sareena respect him as a leader, and made it easier to work alongside him...

The Lin Kuei Throne Room~

Sareena arrived at the open doors of her intended location and walked up the seemingly never ending stairs. Before reaching the top she peeked over a few of the steps spotting Kuai walk around in a tight black short sleeve v-neck shirt, baggy black sweats and black combat boots, with his silver tricep and forearm guards. Sareena despite seeing him like this before, was always taken by surprise when he dressed so...casual; or as casual as he can get. Returning back to a standing form instead of a hiding position—which was pointless he could probably sense her—she cleared her throat. Kuai placed whatever papers he was reading down and looked towards the noise and noticed Sareena. He walked over smoothly and gracefully, his boots—despite looking heavy— were seemingly as light as air. Snapping out of her thoughts, she immediately bowed, as did he.

-"Hello” she chirped.

-"Good morning, I appreciate you agreeing to discuss such matters so early in the morning” he greeted with a soft smile. Sareena placed a hand up to stop him from talking more business.

-"Kuai please, not before coffee”

Kuai continued to smile, of course Sareena needed her caffeine, what a mistake it was for him to introduce her to the drink, she was just as addicted to the caffeinated drink as Frost!

He lead her to the table that he and Kitana sat at the previous night, before Sareena’s intrusion. ‘Kitana…’ he shook his head ‘enough of that’ although he hoped Kitana was alright and had managed to get some sleep, ‘it seemed troubling for her to do so last night’.

~~

After Sareena placed her second cup of coffee down, she was ‘more functional’ as she liked to put it, although Kuai did not complain—he actually found her quite humorous. Sareena was now willing to speak about the current situation at hand with the revenants.

-“Well according to someone who currently RESIDES in the palace” she emphasized that this source lives in the home of the enemy. “Liu Kang is mad, and that despite it not being confirmed by Liu Kang himself, there are rumors of another revenant attack that is to take place, possibly as revenge for losing the Empress of the Dead”

Kuai casually dipped his youtiao (fried dough sticks) into his cup of warm soy milk and looked at her until he finished chewing and swallowed.

-“Liu Kang had already rebelled against Raiden’s direct orders when he decided to attack us. I believe he is going to use Kitana as an excuse for his motivation to make allies with following realms. And, it is also likely he is gaining more willful soldiers, who are angered at losing their queen.” Sareena  saw how the idea bothered Kuai, she opened her mouth to say something  then closed it, she knew that she lacked the ability to comfort others.