Chapter 20: Babies in a Cradle

-“The White Jade Village.”

Kitana was surprised by a group of people who seemed to have been waiting for them. An older looking man, perhaps in his late forties walked up to them.

-“Thank you Grandmaster for coming on such short notice, we apologize for the abruptness, we know how busy you are training your men-” he looked at Kitana and Frost “-er and women. You must be distracted with protecting Earthrealm as well.” 

Sub-Zero let the man finish, “I must admit there were some difficulties at the time we received word but I assure you we are here now and we will help in any way necessary.”

The man nodded “Very well lǎo rén jiā wishes to see you and discuss more details with you.” He led the blue clad assassins towards a large, nicely decorated cottage that was covered in a thick layer of snow. He knocked and peeked his head in, “The Shīfù is here.” and without another word spoken he let them in.

Kneeling at the short table was an elderly Asian woman, with thin lips, slanted yet hazel eyes, her grey and white hair was pulled into a low bun, and wearing a white and green hanfu. Her hands slightly shook as she poured tea, but she never once glanced up. “Kuai Liang, I appreciate you coming, although you must seem to forget that I am not getting any younger.”

Kuai steps in front of the others and bows, he knelt at the table she sat at, across from her, “My apologies there were complications last night.”

The elder nodded and pursed her lips into a thin line “Yes I suppose there were.” She placed the teacup across from her to where Kuai sat. “Tell your students to sit at the other tables as we discuss further matters. And get rid of that mask, there is no need for such formalities.” 

Kuai turned around making a hand gesture, the man who had led them to the hut was now running around bringing snacks and tea to the others who sat.

Kuaiーafter taking off his mask and pulling down his hoodー looked towards the elderly woman waiting for her to speak but she simply took another sip. “It is quite rude to not drink what your host has served”. 

Kuai held the cup, taking a drink, then raised a brow at the woman.

She gave a smile of victory before her expression turned serious and a frown pulled at her lips, “There has been a strange creature wandering around, causing a scare among us and raising panic. We do not know what it is but the eye encounters say it has a weirdly shaped head, distorted skin and glowing eyes, yet there is no further detailed description, my people seem to run as soon as they see it. It seems to be dwelling in the woods but that is all we know as of right now.”

Kuai tensed and was on guard, had they really been called out for a manhunt to find a revenant? 

Despite the Grandmaster hiding his features through a nonchalant facade the eldery woman seemed to read him so openly. “My people do not feel safe and it is my priority to fix it so that they do and now it is officially yours as well, I can tell you know more than you let on, Grandmaster.” She was stern, and she did not back down, she knew she had the authority in this matter and used it to her benefit. 

Her and Kuai had one thing in common; she would do anything for her village as he would for his clan.

~~

Kitana and Frost had been seated and served food as the two in charge spoke, and Kitana had been glad for the break yet Frost voiced it.

- “Finally a break, I’m exhausted! It’s like the walk gets longer every time I come”