I Need You

"Val there's one more surprise, see how there's one more seat open. I invited a special guest I think you might want to see," Bianca said.

From the corner of my eye, I saw a figure of a woman. Who could this be?

"Mom, what are you doing here?"

What the hell is going on?

"Mi hija, happy birthday. I know I shouldn't have shown up unannounced but your friend convinced me to come."

I turned towards Bianca, "It's amazing that all I needed was my friend to get your attention. Mom, now is not the time and place for this conversation I want to have a civil dinner."

"I understand, I should go then. No quiero arruinar tu cena."
(*I do not want to ruin your dinner.)

"Mom you're here already, just stay. You won't ruin my birthday. My friends have already made it amazing."

~

Dinner started off on an uncomfortable note but my mother kept quiet and only talked when she was talked to. Ximena María José Armstrong is my mother's name. She still kept my father' last name even though she's been a widow for a few years now. I love and respect my mother but there was a bunch of reasons why I moved away from her. There was too much toxicity around me when I lived with her and that's something that I couldn't stand to live around. One day I do want to rebuild my relationship with my mother and I know we'll need to go to therapy to hash our issues out. The sad thing about seeing her tonight is that I don't even know if she's sober/strung out.

Once dinner was finished I was pulled aside by Colson. I walked with him outside the restaurant to chat.

"You really are your mother' twin. All of us felt the tension between you two and I don't understand where your animosity comes from. Valeria, you need to take a step back and see that your mother is trying to make the effort to be there for you. Most of us don't have a maternal figure in our lives. Look at me for example, I am a fu*ked up individual, I treat myself and others like shit because of my mother not being there in my life. And even I know that's not an excuse but she's a heartless b*tch."

"Colson you don't understand, when my dad died it was like I lost two parents. I had to grow up quicker I had to become an adult at a young age. I had to make sure the bills got paid and that there was food in the fridge. I always was home by myself majority of the time while my mother was finding her next fix by any means necessary. There were times where I thought my mother was dead somewhere in the streets and for some reason that put me at ease because I thought she wouldn't be in pain anymore. I moved away because I couldn't deal with the neglect and abuse by my mother. And to this day she has never acknowledged what she did and I struggle with getting over it."

Unbeknownst to me, Ximena was hiding behind the corner listening into the conversation. 

"Val, I'm sorry for what you had to endure growing up, if you ever want to talk to someone one on one I'm there for. You'll have time to hash this out with your mother. I want you to have a stress free night and hopefully, I can facilitate that later in the night."