The Plan

Louis felt a hand tighten its grip on his shoulder. He looked up through long darkened eyelashes, his vision slightly blurred from the shock of the news. It was Zayn's hand, his attempt at comfort a small token of gratitude from Louis—even if it didn't help.

"Are you okay, Louis? You look like you've just seen a ghost," Niall pointed out while glaring worriedly at his friend.

Louis forced himself to shake his head to reassure both his friends that he was fine. He was fine. All he had to do was tell himself that and he wouldn't have to worry—something his mother always told him when he was younger.

"Yeah, yeah. I'm good. Just," Louis paused, "Can't believe the situation, you know?"

Niall quickly shared a glance with Zayn before stepping towards Louis, his hand reaching out towards the blue eyed boy. But when he gripped at the fabric of Louis' sleeves, the material easily slipped through his fingers.

"I have to go," Louis began backing up, his cheeks pale and eyes never moving from in front of him. "I don't think I can be here right now. Not with this crowd."

He took one large breath of air to settle his anxiety and spun around to quickly make his way from the crowd of people. He wasn't sure where exactly he was going, but his feet carried him away as his mind was swept away by one big wave of panic and confusion.

"Louis, hold on," Niall took a step forward, but Zayn grabbed the blonds arm.

"Let him go, he needs to cope," Zayn pointed out, his inner doctor appearing through him. "Sometimes solitude can be good for the brain; helps you process things more clearly. So let him go."

And Niall did as he relaxed under Zayn's stern grip. By the time Zayn released his clutch, the pure Omega had disappeared into a dirt path beyond their view, leaving nothing but a faint scent of Hell Hound Alpha in the air—a scent that didn't really belong to him. But who knew that?

Possibly the man who was caught last night, but there was no telling. Louis just had to hope that whoever it was didn't know him, or if they did, that they wouldn't give away any secrets.

Louis quickly found himself stopping at a tall, wooden water trough that was placed at the edge of a dirt trail. He ran straight to it which made him quickly stumble with his clumsiness, but he caught his balance on the edge of the trough in a swift motion. His grip tightened and the wood dug into the skin of his palms.

Louis squeezed his eyes shut before cupping the cold water from within the trough and into both of his fleshy paws. He threw it up at his face, the chill instantly numbing his cheeks, and rubbed a wet hand through his hair to moisten the strands.

Louis noted the calming feeling flush through his chest just a little, but only enough to help himself regain his breathing.

However, he never moved from his spot. He stayed leaning over the water trough with both hands gripping tightly at the wooden edges. His eyes were still closed and a few strands of his hair fell down to curtain over his forehead.

Louis let out a deep breath before pushing himself off the trough and brushed his hair back once again to tame the loose strands. Both of his hands ran over his face to swipe the water away before flicking the loose droplets off his moist palms. His eyelids fluttered open and once he scanned the woods in front of him, he sighed deeply and threw his head back just an inch.

"Why can't this just be a nightmare?" Louis whispered to the skies above him, almost as if someone in the heavens was listening. "Isn't there a wake up switch? Something?"

A few seconds passed before he found himself laughing at how ridiculous he was. Of course no one could help him. This was life and, well, life wasn't good to him. With an ashamed shake of his head, he dragged his own body away from the trough in a slow pace.