Izaya's Past: Part (I)

3 years ago
Japan, Niigata
26th March 7:30am

In the busy city if Niigata, there was a particular area that combined the health department with the educational one. You see, there was a mental hospital which specialized in psycology sessions for all sorts of different patients.

And right next to it was a school- a medical school to be exact. Were teenagers studied to become doctors, nurses and so on. Those who were studying psycology, were lucky enough to be able to visit the hospital to get practical experience of what the job was really like.

But there was one particular patient that no student was allowed to go next to, as he was a grave case. He had been in the hospital for about two weeks, and specialists of all sorts had sessions with him lasting long hours- they couldn't even get him to speak.

His name? Izaya Orihara. And he was currently waiting in an average sized room, were the walls were painted a pale orange, and the rays of the sun lit up his surroundings as if everything was okay. But it wasn't.

Izaya never had a very joyful life. Even when he was back in Shinjuku with functioning legs- things were bad. He acted confident and carefree when in reality he wasn't. He was impulsive, surprisingly human and painfully lonely.

But life decided no. It wasn't enough that he cried himself to sleep every night. It wasn't enough that he was drowning in his own guilt every day. Everything just had to get a little worse.

His last fight with Shizuo was absolutely traumatizing. A few hours later he found himself being operated on by underground doctors, while his mind was still hazy from what happened and his limbs were numb.

At one point, he could feel himself slowly beginning to lose consciousness. And as he remembered all of his pitiful life he decided to do one thing before he died- he forgave Shizuo.

Because all along, Izaya was the problem. He was the monster. He sort of knew for a long time... but it still hurt when he completely realized it and let it sink in. Nonetheless, he slowly closed his eyes, and took his final breath.

Except things didn't go as planned. The operation was a success. He was breathing, and everything in his body was functioning correctly except for his legs.

And now? Izaya was done. Sure he was breathing- but he wasn't living. So for the past few weeks that he stayed at the hospital, everything about him remained the same.

He was stuck on the uncomfortable wheelchair that the hospital provided him. He had the same blank expression on his face, and he didn't bother to say a single word. All sorts of mental specialists visited him. Most were from underground. But no one got through to him.

It didn't matter how vibrant the hospital was. He couldn't care less about the doctors that smiled at him and the ambitious students that visited. All that did matter was the war going on in his head.

"Hey Izaya, we got you a new therapist for today," a familiar voice said. It belonged to one of the doctors, someone who was practically nameless and faceless for that matter to Izaya. "I think you heard of her, she's Yuina Maki. Best psycologist in all of Japan."

The name did sound slightly familiar to the ravenette. But that wouldn't change a thing. She could try all she want, no tactic would get him to speak. Things were never going to 'get better' for him.