Chapter 16: Getting Closer

-Izaya Orihara-

23rd December

The golden, early morning rays of the sun infiltrated Izaya's vision, causing him to slowly open his eyes. It took him a few seconds to adjust to his surroundings.

On the ceiling, the artificial stars were still glowing, their blue light faint compared to that of the sun. As the ravenette lightly yawned, he came to the realization that he wasn't alone in the bed- it was too warm for him to have slept alone.

So he lazily tilted his head, noticing Shizuo curled up next to him but facing away, so all he could see was his back and a mop of his dyed blonde hair, that had a few brunette strands at the roots.

Izaya was a little surprised to say the least. He wasn't used to waking up to this much warmth. But he was also curious as to why Shizuo suddenly changed his mind about sleeping on the couch, so he poked the other's shoulder lightly.

"Hey Shizu-chan," His voice was low and groggy from sleep, "Wake up," as he said it he shook the other's shoulder lightly which earnt him a low grumble.

"Good morning to you to," The ex informant remarked, before being cut off by a yawn of his own. "Hey why did you sleep here? I thought you wanted to sleep on the couch."

Shizuo sighed slightly before turning around so he could face the ravenette. "I was gonna do that but it was too cold down there. I couldn't sleep. Hope I didn't scare you or anything." His string of words came out in low grumbles, and Izaya had to strain his ears to be able to understand what the other was trying to say.

He was also pleasently amused by how out if character Shizuo was in the morning. He acted a lot like a small kid and was more... dare he say polite, in a way?

"Oh yea I was terrified of the guy next to me hugging a pillow to death," He ended his statement with a small chuckle, as the artificial blonde only realized then that he was indeed hugging one of the pillows before throwing it to the side in abrupt annoyance.

Who knew Shizuo was such a cuddler in his sleep?

After a few minutes they found themselves in the kitchen, and Izaya was helplessly looking at the almost empty fridge. "We need to go grocery shopping. Right now." He muttered irritatedly, as he made his way to the counter to write a long list of things to get.

"We?" Shizuo questioned, while lazily taking in another sip of his black coffee, which was actually contaminated with sugar, as he had observed the ex bartender ruin what was known as the perfectly bitter taste of coffee.

"Yes, we. I don't trust that you'll get all the right ingredients," he stated, while absentmindedly biting the tip of his pencil in thought. He honestly wasn't sure how Shizuo was still alive at that point, given the lack of food.

And so after getting dressed, they found themselves grocery shopping at a shop that was only a few minutes away from his house. It was quite a big store with a wide variety of food, and Izaya happily took his sweet time in picking only the best of ingredients.

Shizuo meanwhile trailed closely behind, his head hung low as he felt helplessly bored. "You're acting like my mum," he commented irritatedly. "How so?" The ex informant questioned, as he kept his eyes on the words on the labelling trying to get the right spice.