Chapter 20: Sick Day

31st December

Izaya, for the first time in quite a while, felt like absolute shit. And no, not mentally or emotionally- he was simply sick. Really sick.

He woke up in the morning with his head burning up, a painful ringing in his ears, and an upset stomach, and things only got worse from there.

He spent all morning on the sofa, surrounded with tissues for his runny nose, some flavoured drinks and fruity gum to remove the taste of acidic bile from his mouth, and an abandoned bowl of soup which Shizuo made a few hours ago.

Blankets lay scattered around him, while a particular blue one with thinner fabric than the rest of them covered his body from the waiste down. He was absolutely miserable- but Shizuo suprisingly enough, was putting up with him.

The artificial blonde was currently on the phone with Erika in the kitchen, amd Izaya could weakly overhear bits and pieces of the conversation, since his phone was on speaker.

"Huh? Izaya is sick? How bad is it?"

Erika's worried tone was clearly heard, and Izaya couldn't help but smile slightly at her concern.

"It means he's puking every few hours. I'm pretty sure he has a fever- it's pretty bad."

Shizuo's tone was much different than that of the brunette's from the other side of the line- it was one laced with irritation.

"Shizuo I'm sorry I called at a time like this, I just wanted to check up on you guys. Do you think you need me to come over?"

The artificial blonde seemed to mull over his answer, "I don't think its necessary," He started as he walked over to Izaya, "Hey Izaya, would you like Erika to come over?"

The ravenette, despite his bleary thoughts and uneasy stomach, furrowed his eyebrows in irritation.

"What the hell Shizu-chan? I'm a grown adult, I can take care of myself-" His confident statement was abruptly stopped, as a sudden wave of nausea came over him.

"Yea, Erika I have to go, he's puking again."

After the brunette wished him luck, he curtly ended the phone call and got to work. Izaya was surprised to say the least, as Shizuo didn't seem to be someone who was good at taking care of sick people.

But despite his lack of patience and rough exterior, he wasn't that bad. He waited for Izaya to calm down after throwing up, and the ravenette definitely felt more comfortable as his previous nausea was no longer present.

Shizuo took away the bowl the ex informant puked in, and washed it mercilessly until it was spotless, before bringing it back. Then he proceeded to clean Izaya's face with a cloth, and wiping away a few tears that started to flow down his cheeks due to the illness.

"Here," He offered Izaya a cup with some fruit juice, "Drink up. It will take away the bad taste from your mouth." And even though the ravenette didn't feel like it, he quietly took the drink, allowing the burst of artificial fruit and sugar to remove the after taste of bile.

"Thanks." He said curtly, while resting his back against a comfortable pillow provided on the sofa.

The artificial blonde nodded silently, before taking away the hot wash cloth from Izaya's forehead and replacing it with a cooler one, and the ex informant could feel himself visibly relax, as the feel of burning heat left his body.