Chapter 24: Turn Of Events

-Izaya Orihara-

Izaya was slouched in his wheelchair, a blanket thrown messily around him, with with left hand holding the ends at his chest, scrunching the fabric, so that it looked like he had a cape of crimson on his shoulders. He mildly remembered how his family and the few friends he had would tell him to sit up straight, because he was always on his laptop with his back hunched over as he delved into his work.

Eventually, they warned him so many times, that the irritating advice was drilled into his head, and he always tried his best to stay as upright as he could, especially since he was permanently seated. And yet, as of that moment, he couldn't care less about their advice, as he had his elbow of his right hand propped up on the window sill, with his head resting against the palm of his hand.

Heavy rimmed scarlet eyes lazily watched the view from the guest room of Shinra's and Celty's apartment. The sky outside was dark, and yet Ikebukuro wasn't asleep. He wasn't surprised- the city was praised for its night life after all. And so now, with the dullahan and the underground scientist sleeping in another room, he was free to think.

Usually, whenever he had muddled up feelings about something, thinking the situation over helped. But now, it left him more confused than ever. So he only asked himself the questions he was willing to answer, never letting his mind dip into thoughts that seemed too bizarre. At the end, he settled that he should blame all this on Shizuo.

Izaya got used to the other, enjoyed his company even. So that wasn't a problem- he felt the same way about lots of other people like Erika, Shinra, Celty... Kadota even. But the ravenette's largest issue was that he couldn't fall asleep. Maybe it was the lack of cheap blue stars, or the absence of unsure arms wrapped awkwardly around his waist... whatever it was, he couldn't seem to shut his eyes.

And then, there was movement. A sound quieter than a mouse could make, the shift of a shadow, and then there was a person. A figure draped in darkness, their posture resting against Izaya's doorway with a hand on their hip. The ravenette's mind was swirling with jumbled thoughts. He didn't have an idea of who this person was or what they wanted... Izaya could only prepare himself for the worst.

After realizing that his switchblade wasn't in his range, he squinted his eyes at the anonymous figure. "You know you're already disobeying the law by breaking and entering, but you're not even going to introduce yourself? Well that's plain rude." Izaya started while faking confidence, a teasing lilt to his tone. To his mild surprise, the other replied back. "Cut the crap Orihara. Don't tell me you forgot about me so soon." The voice belonged to a woman, and it was concerning to Izaya that it was ever so slightly familiar.

The young lady walked forward, her face now washed with silver moon light, steely grey eyes meeting vibrant ruby. There was nothing too interesting about her appearance, as she was currently dressed all in black, her wavy auburn her in a high ponytail, and a splash of freckles across her face. Suddenly, a puzzle started forming in Izaya's head, connecting piece by piece. "Do you remember me or what?" The lady asked impatiently.

"Aw, serious behaviour was always sour on you, wasn't it Asuka?" Izaya asked almost gently, and was amused when her eyes widened, as he had said that exact same phrase to her years ago, earning a toothy smile back then. But then she regained her composure. "It's good that you remember. It will make it easier to explain why I'm here." She stated, crossing her arms and sending him a glare.

"Let me make a wild guess," The ex informant cut in, now resting his elbows on the arms of his wheelchair, allowing his hands to intertwine together so he could rest his chin on them. "When I first met you, it was when you were with that teenager. He wanted a travelling circus, I gave it to him. My kindness overwhelms me sometimes." He sighed, a smirk tugging at his lips.