Chapter 11: Starting Over Again

-Izaya Orihara-

As the two walked further into the park, Izaya noticed how serene the environment was, despite the thick and uncomfortable air between himself and Shizuo.

The trees that lined the park beared no leaves, instead their branches swayed in the cold wind, which was clearly no longer a crisp breeze.

The cobblestone path was lined with damp leaves. Colours of soft orange and deep carmine making an interesting contrast with the dark ground they lay on.

Dark, grey clouds passed by, blocking the stars and the moon that Izaya loved so much. Instead of silvery moonlight to light their way, the soft orange glow from the various lamposts had to suffice.

The branches still swayed in the winds, and the night lived on. It was ironic really. If the two were seen by a common stranger, they would have seemed like old friends reuniting, if not for the voiceless interaction.

Shizuo finally stopped at the centre of the park, were there was a big, simple fountain, and its smooth, concrete base was lined with small lights that gave off a soft golden glow.

The rays of colours reflected onto the water, in an almost mesmerizing way. A few metres away from the fountain, were two wooden gazibos, one to the left and the other to the right. They were quite small and shabby looking, but oddly enough they fit in the atmosphere perfectly.

Izaya's wheelchair was placed next to the fountain, and Shizuo walked away a few steps, until he turned around and finally faced the ex informant.

His blue tinted glasses were now in his pocket, and he glared at the ravenette, his gaze never faltering. Izaya couldn't see very well as it was too dark, but Shizuo's eyes seemed to be of a somewhat light brown- he never really bothered to notice before.

Izaya realized that the ex bartender was not going to start the conversation, so his mind worked relentlessy to find something to say.

His usually cocky grin was now a small lopsided smile, and his calm expression was enough to make almost anyone relax. As the soft lights from the fountain twinkled in his crimson eyes, it was hard to believe that he used to be so cruel just three years ago.

"So I heard you've been going to Shinra's apartment recently," Izaya started in a light hearted tone. He took note of how Shizuo's deamener slightly stiffened, his eyes glazed with shock. "Why have you been going there?" The ravenette's tone had an almost teasing lilt to it.

"How did you know that?" The artificial blonde asked bluntly, his rough, heated tone contrasting Izaya's. "That's not important Shizu-chan, besides- I asked first." A bit of smugness seeped into his voice, as Shizuo just kept glaring at him.

"Well if you must know- I've been going there for a while now," Shizuo started, his voice clearly strained, "But I can't decide wether I should kill you or just talk to you, so now we're here!"

The artificial blonde was surprisingly enough not shouting yet, but he gave the impression of a ticking time bomb. Izaya simply rose his hands in mock defeat, an amused twinkle dancing in his eyes. "Oi, temper, temper!" He chuckled lightly trying to ease the mood.

But his attempt didn't work. Because the artficial blonde was somehow angrier than he had ever seen him. "You. Who do you think you are? First you ruin my life by framing me for countless crimes," at this the ravenette's confidence started wavering slightly.